Copy this with a phantom!

Hehe.... welcome to the world of collective pitch 3D heli flying !!! :D

Not with a Phantom but you can with a multirotor with collective pitch.

Flying starts at 4 min.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnGhEInTXYc[/youtube]

Don't get me wrong---these maneuevers they are doing with CP flying are very complicated when up is down, left is right, etc.

However, these are just plain boring to watch to the average joe. I showed some friends videos of some awesome 3d flying and they just laughed.

It took me a while to drink the kool aid and start thinking those videos look cool, but to most people they can't appreciate how hard it is to do that!

Most just want to see how fast it can go, how high, a flip or two, upside down for a while, but a 6 minute show like that puts them to zzzz.

kydan said:
Don't get me wrong---these maneuevers they are doing with CP flying are very complicated when up is down, left is right, etc.

However, these are just plain boring to watch to the average joe. I showed some friends videos of some awesome 3d flying and they just laughed.

It took me a while to drink the kool aid and start thinking those videos look cool, but to most people they can't appreciate how hard it is to do that!

Most just want to see how fast it can go, how high, a flip or two, upside down for a while, but a 6 minute show like that puts them to zzzz.

Well yes, it put me to sleep. Call me an average Joe. Incredible machine with off the chart skills, I get that, but sorry it's boring. I watched a few seconds of it before it was just too repetitive for me to continue watching. I don't see the value of that kind of flying, entertainment or functional.

Years ago, a coworker went to a Kenny G concert. When I pointed out I'm not a fan, my friend told me Kenny G is so talented he can hold a note for 20 minutes by employing a "circular breathing" technique. So, yeah I recognize the talent and skill to hold a note for that long. That doesn't mean it's not boring to me.

I agree. It's just so weird it's not interesting - I can watch for about 10 seconds.

kydan said:

adanac said:
I agree. It's just so weird it's not interesting - I can watch for about 10 seconds.

kydan said:

+1.

These '3D' maneuvers are so unrealistic.

Loops, rolls, conventional aerobatics fine.
That's really all I ever wanted to do with my CP.

Gave it up due to the complexity of head mechanics and set-up.
I now enjoy flying more than wrenching.

You can bet these pilots have re-kitted many a chopper in pursuit of this.

To have the talent to do that is incredible. There are other videos on YouTube that show similar skills.

I get mesmerized by them and have to watch it all. I also got the bug and bought a 3D foamie that I'm trying to fly more than four batteries without having to repair it. :cry: There a couple of guys in the club with 3D helicopters and, while they don't have those skills, they are pretty good. I like watching them in person (more fun than the video and with these guys, they sometimes crash - everyone loves a train wreck).

The Stingray can do all that, too (multirotor - one engine!).

I realize there is no need to be that good - but I can appreciate the hell out of it. That video is much more interesting than a 15 minute GoPro video from a Phantom showing how high it can go. The Phantom folks probably shouldn't talk much about boring video!

Besides, I've done that with my P2. Well... I did one little small part of it... just before it hit the pavement...

This one maybe?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EygML_1cE[/youtube]

I like the orientation paint scheme. Really good idea with a Phantom - I lose orientation fairly quickly with it.

I paint my whole drone in black but with red stripes to help me with orientation because I'm not good at that too :p

If any of you want tips on how to do it, here are some videos with the instructions.

DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 1 - Disassemble --> http://youtu.be/6Fyo2GAeU2w
DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 2 - Paint ----------> http://youtu.be/2thBdN6kmgI
DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 3 - Reassemble --> http://youtu.be/5hnerDEXIUk

Looks like the pilot is having a epileptic fit while on the sticks, I flew RC Helicopters for 10 years before I got into quads and never did I want to learn how to do that, I was more into the helicopter drag racing that we did at the fly-ins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20