Cooling battery down with A/C

Reaction score
So I wanted to see today if I could start the recharge of the battery more quickly after a flight if I set it directly in front of the a/c vent. I found that this worked beautifully, but I'm just wondering if there is any danger to doing so?

In the winter you can just throw in the snow.

Huh... in the winter you don't want to cool it anymore - warmth is your friend for Li-Poly....

Reactions: zincsoldier
I noticed that if you turn on the battery before charging, and it's still warm, u don't have to wait to charge. It will just charge. Probably not the best for the battery.

I noticed that if you turn on the battery before charging, and it's still warm, u don't have to wait to charge. It will just charge. Probably not the best for the battery.
Good find. I'll try that after waiting a respectable amount of time for the battery to cool. I've been waiting an hour which seems excessive.

My P3 battery (the one and only) has "seemed" hotter after flying than others I've had, but felt cooler after the last flight yesterday. Maybe it's getting broken in or maybe it's my imagination.

Given the higher charge voltage (4.37 V per cell), the chemistry has to be different than all the LiPos I've had before, so prior knowledge may not be all that meaningful.

Reactions: Alex Kiritsis
Good find. I'll try that after waiting a respectable amount of time for the battery to cool. I've been waiting an hour which seems excessive.

My P3 battery (the one and only) has "seemed" hotter after flying than others I've had, but felt cooler after the last flight yesterday. Maybe it's getting broken in or maybe it's my imagination.

Given the higher charge voltage (4.37 V per cell), the chemistry has to be different than all the LiPos I've had before, so prior knowledge may not be all that meaningful.
It's possible the extra heat could be from the fact that there is an extra cell. Going from a 3 cell to a 4 could be the difference.

Sure could be that. I don't know, only had 3 cell batts before. The fact that the "watt" draw from P3 batteries is close to what the P2 draws kind of leads to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic