Connection Problems. The physical type.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using dielectric grease on the connections inside the Phantom?
A little background.
I am a retired contractor who has gone to motorcycle repair school for something to do in later life. I have found that most older motorcycles that have been sitting outside or in the corner of a garage, oftentimes have connection problems making running smoothly difficult. Upon finding a connection problem with a customer's bike, I clean the connections with a product called "DeOxit", and apply dielectric grease for better connection. Connectors for the Phantom could easily be replaced with aftermarket connectors I use for motorcycles. They are pretty inexpensive and the crimping tool is about 80$ if I remember correctly. Just a thought, Maybe I'm just wacked..............

We use DeOxit to clean the battery terminals or lots do but know nothing of the other you speak of .
Welcome to the forum GPZZR :)

Guess I'll try it when I take it apart tomorrow to put the Copper Tape EMI Shielding / Kapton Polyimide Film modification for the "Better Quicker and More Satellite Locking" I've read about. Thanks for the welcome dirkclod.

We use DeOxit to clean the battery terminals or lots do but know nothing of the other you speak of .
Welcome to the forum GPZZR :)

Welcome

Not whacked at all.... I to use di-electric grease when working on older cars etc...

The Phantom connectors are smaller, some bronze, some gold plated where DeOxit does a great job. I thought about adding di-electric but since the unit is stored indoors it would not corrode like the connectors in older cars or motorcycles.

If the Phantom I have makes it to 10 years old and exhibits connection problems who knows then. It will be an antique and I'm sure that there will be a completely different system, frequency plan etc.

And the connectors, well while it's easy to change one end of the connector, the mating connector is typically mounted (soldered) on a board or device so changing both of them would require re-engineering the whole bloody device.... I have changed the plug from the GPS puck in the P2V+V3 to the Motherboard, but did not change the female end on the motherboard

Beautiful reply. Thank you "mad in nc". There is sooooo much info on the web regarding the Phantom series and especially here on this site, I may never get sleep. Better yet, I will never have a problem that cannot be solved with the help of everyone here. Only have to repair a couple of mowers, one weed trimmer, and a motorcycle tire replacement tomorrow to keep me busy, so I'll be ready for some happy time with my new Phantom later in the day. Have a good week all. Kevin

Welcome

Not whacked at all.... I to use di-electric grease when working on older cars etc...

The Phantom connectors are smaller, some bronze, some gold plated where DeOxit does a great job. I thought about adding di-electric but since the unit is stored indoors it would not corrode like the connectors in older cars or motorcycles.

If the Phantom I have makes it to 10 years old and exhibits connection problems who knows then. It will be an antique and I'm sure that there will be a completely different system, frequency plan etc.

And the connectors, well while it's easy to change one end of the connector, the mating connector is typically mounted (soldered) on a board or device so changing both of them would require re-engineering the whole bloody device.... I have changed the plug from the GPS puck in the P2V+V3 to the Motherboard, but did not change the female end on the motherboard

Welcome

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31