Confused about distance

Reaction score
So I'm in New Mexico. In the middle of nothing. Perfect for flying drones. :)

Did a distance flight, on my P3S and reached an amazing 4800 feet. The next day I can't fly further than 600 feet before I get the RC signal loss and the bird starts flying back home. Same location same drone :).

What could be going on?

Thanks for the replies :)

First off.
Welcome! Marius Ciortea .
You have came to the right place for information. Enjoy your time here. Be sure to read all you can. There are tons of threads on just about any subject you can think of that has to do with the quad-copters. The search function works well here. Use it often, you will find what ever you need. In that rare case that you can not, there are great people here to help. Thanks for coming to Phantom Pilots! You are family now.
If you need any help/parts, please visit:
www.PhantomHelp.com

As for your distance problem, that seems to be strange. I would assume since you are in the middle of nothing, you don't have wifi interference. Even with a slight change in weather conditions you should not have dropped that much distance. Do you have you controller pointed at the direction of the bird? Antenna position can mean alot as well. This may sound callous, but did you drop the remote at all? Reason I ask this is it could be possible that you may have jarred the connection loose for the antenna which would give those kind of results.

Experience? Are you new at this? These are some of the questions that folks will ask. Please don't get offended when they are asked. People here just want to help you and they need as much info as you can give them. You can also search the forums using key words like signal loss, antenna, and the sort. the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen will give you a search bar.

Like I said, the more info you can give, the better a response you can get. There are some really good people here. Newbie? or not. They will help if they can.

Mike

Thank you for the reply Mike.

I'm not an experienced drone pilots yet. I would say that I have flown at least 30 times. About 5 time using Autopilot. Since I leave in an urban area, I never ventured over 400ft or a distance where I would not see my drone.
This is my first vacation that I took the drone with me and since I'm in the dessert, with the nearest home about 2000 feet away, I kind of wanted to see what the limits are. Like I said my first distance flight I made it to 4800 till RC Single loss. The next day I wanted to check how high I can fly the drone. Removed the 400ft limit and that is where the problems started. Could not go above 250 ft and distance is now about 600ft.

I'm about to fly it again and see if today the result are any different.

What other info you guys need? Do you want to see logs? Happy to provide them :).

Marius

This is a new craft right? No mods. First flight 4800'. Second flight 600' and then RTH. Third flight 600' and then RTH.

Similar weather conditions all three days right?

I cannot imagine what that might be except an antenna became disconnected.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you need to return it.

Reactions: mcphipps
This is a new craft right? No mods. First flight 4800'. Second flight 600' and then RTH. Third flight 600' and then RTH.

Similar weather conditions all three days right?

I cannot imagine what that might be except an antenna became disconnected.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you need to return it.

I seem to agree. When I broke my antenna it also pulled out a bit. Pulled the wire out of the connector. I thought I would just stick it back in the connector and crimp it. Don't work like that..LOL

I got about that same distance of 600 feet and then lost the controller functions. Sounds like the antenna to me as well. If you don't want to pop it open and have a look you should probably think about sending it back. It should give you better results than what you are getting. The first time was great, about where it should be. Afterwards really sucks. I have no idea what would cause that other than an antenna issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.