Conflicting RTH settings?

Reaction score
Question about RTH settings...

Under the 'Visual Navigation Settings' menu there is the item 'Enable forward and Backward Obstacle Sensing', with one of the bullet points being:

'In return home, aircraft will fly backward and ascend automatically to avoid obstacles when detected.'

OK, sounds good.

But... under "MC Settings' - 'Advanced' there is the option 'RTH Remote Obstacle Avoidance' which says:

'When enabled, aircraft will adjust the aircraft RTH route in remote to avoid obstacles, and aircraft will not respond to stick commands'

These seem to say very similar things. If 'RTH Remote Obstacle Avoidance' is turned off under advanced settings, does that negate the RTH obstacle avoidance feature under 'Enable forward and Backward Obstacle Sensing'? I doubt it because unless the operator discovers the hidden advanced setting then they will think that have RTH obstacle avoidance turned on when they do not.

What do these two settings mean and how do they interact?

Notice than for both of those they are under different "categories" of flying.

One is for "Active Track" and the other is for either TapFly or RTH. (Don't have the screen in front of me right now.)

At least that's my take on it.

AD

Notice than for both of those they are under different "categories" of flying.

One is for "Active Track" and the other is for either TapFly or RTH. (Don't have the screen in front of me right now.)
OK, that's an interesting take. But I don't see why one would link the difference to the Intelligent Flight Modes as I don't see any relationship in the menu structure. And both settings refer specifically to RTH and say nothing about any other flight mode.

Can't get any love on this one :)

Anyone have any idea?

Like you, I have more questions than answers.

When the craft enters failsafe RTH, after it becomes disconnected from the controller, it turns around and starts heading back to home but it also begins climbing. On one occasion it climbed to 280 meters before I bailed out of RTH. I don't understand why it is climbing, and how high would it go? My RTH altitude is set to 30 meters. It is kind of unnerving when the craft is at the limit of range then begins climbing unnecessarily, depleting remaining battery capacity for the return to home.

Like you, I have more questions than answers.

When the craft enters failsafe RTH, after it becomes disconnected from the controller, it turns around and starts heading back to home but it also begins climbing. On one occasion it climbed to 280 meters before I bailed out of RTH. I don't understand why it is climbing, and how high would it go? My RTH altitude is set to 30 meters. It is kind of unnerving when the craft is at the limit of range then begins climbing unnecessarily, depleting remaining battery capacity for the return to home.
I noticed the same behavior on a flight yesterday, on a self-initiated RTH the unit started to climb continuously (to well above the RTH altitude) until it reached the home point (had reached 650 feet AGL and was still climbing), at which time it descended vertically to a landing. As far as I can tell if it didn't reach home point it would have kept ascending until ..? Interesting that you are seeing the same thing, this seems like a repeatable and serious firmware bug as it could cause loss of aircraft and/or danger to other air traffic.

I will start a separate thread to see how many others may be experiencing this and maybe not even realizing it. If anyone else is seeing this please report it here:

Serious RTH firmware bug, are you seeing it?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl