Concerns for Beach Flying

Reaction score
So we're heading off to the beach soon, which I am very excited about since I don't have to deal with trees everywhere, but I started worrying about a few ocean-related things affecting my flights.

Basically I want to know if I can just relax and fly like I always do, or if I need to take extra precautions.

Not like helicopters and stuff, which I have noted already, I mean more along the lines of:

-Wind speed (~25-30mph) is there a danger of flipping midair? I mean I haven't heard of this before but is
it possible that could cause the bird to flip over midflight?

-Oceanic climate; is the air different enough to cause some sort of issue? Like saltwater air causing corrosion or...something.

Just anything others have noticed around Florida or other beaches that's different from normal areas. Thanks!

The biggest worry is sand. You need to hand takeoff and hand catch for landing. It is a lot easier than people think. Just assume the statue of liberty position..................
Obviously don't fly in high winds either and watch wind direction - you could find yourself way out to sea and not have enough battery to get back in.

No real changes for the beach for me.

It can be windy, so make sure it is not too windy, but the p3 does fine at 25 MPH in my experience. You do need to pay attention to wind direction, because it will take a lot longer going into the wind than with it, so plan accordingly for battery life.

Finally, I always hand launch and catch on the beach, and stay away from the sand.

EDIT: Wibble beat me to the post, the wind, and the hand catch thing, so I'll "Second" that advice.

Reactions: Wibble
Yeah I always hand catch anyhow just because it's so much easier than landing, and flying into the headwind is a good idea too. So just watch the battery then, cool! I was worried about getting the full potential out of it because of the wind thing. Speaking of which any idea how fast it has to be blowing to either a) cause a tippover, or b) push the bird to the point where it cannot go anymore.

I only had this happen to me once, but I was cloud chasing so I have no idea how bad the wind actually was.

Fun fact, got t-boned by a (pigeon?) the other day on landing. Flipped upside down...no damage but still, I was worried.

Look out for birds, noted

I forgot to mention birds. Seagulls can be very nasty. I tend to fly at about 200' to avoid them. If you have have prop guards remove them they just add drag.

So we're heading off to the beach soon, which I am very excited about since I don't have to deal with trees everywhere, but I started worrying about a few ocean-related things affecting my flights.

Basically I want to know if I can just relax and fly like I always do, or if I need to take extra precautions.

Not like helicopters and stuff, which I have noted already, I mean more along the lines of:

-Wind speed (~25-30mph) is there a danger of flipping midair? I mean I haven't heard of this before but is
it possible that could cause the bird to flip over midflight?

-Oceanic climate; is the air different enough to cause some sort of issue? Like saltwater air causing corrosion or...something.

Just anything others have noticed around Florida or other beaches that's different from normal areas. Thanks!

Flying in salty air.

Never had any problems including landing on sand....Flying over water are the best flights for me love getting a mile out or so to have a look round boats etc

hand catch and find a way to launch that keeps you out of the sand.

The biggest issue you have is a significantly increased chance of encountering a low flying manned aircraft. I regularily see helis and light fixed wing AC at or below 150ft close to shore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic