Computer help if possible

Reaction score
I am not very computer savvy. The last couple of days some of the videos I watch here and other places will stop playing after a bit and I have the rotating circle in the middle like it's still loading the video. I just played an eight minute video from my computer files and that played without issue. I'm on AOL if that makes a difference. I'm not sure what the issue may be. Any ideas. Thanks.
PS I am on high speed internet and wired directly into router. My laptop is only a couple of years old.

Very well could be your internet connection. The circle means its stopping to buffer up some video so you can continue to play. Even my 50 mb connection does it on occasion for various reasons including network congestion, the actual server playing the video, etc.

If you are doing it on a Youtube video try clicking the gear and dropping to a lower speed like 720 or something.

How fast is your High speed?

And "only two years old" means its about time to replace it :)

Try going to www.speedtest.net and running a test.

AOL!!!!??? Wow...

I'm running at a blazing fast 5.40 Mb per sec, and my upload speed is an incredible .38Mb per sec. lol, Just one of the perks of living in the middle of nowhere with limited Internet options available to you :rolleyes:

Are you using AOL as the browser?

AOL sucks. At minimum make sure you have Internet then use Firefox or Internet Explorer to browse.

A long time ago a really smart friend of mine told me not to surf the net with AOL, because it's not a browser.

Somewhere in your machine is probably already a "Browser".

You will use it the same way you do AOL. There will be an address bar at the top and you won't have to deal with all the crap AOL puts on the screen. You'll have a nice clear screen to work with.

Look for Firefox or Safari (typically found on Apple products) or Google Chrome.
Those 3 are nice browsers. Internet Explorer is most likely installed if your machine is a couple years old, but it sucks.

You have a bandwidth problem. You say you have high speed internet, but who provides it and what type is it? Broadband provided by a cellular carrier will have a monthly bandwidth limit and once you hit that limit, your bandwidth, i.e. speed, will get dialed back to almost nothing. Broadband provided by a satellite company will also have monthly bandwidth limits. If you have an account that has a monthly bandwidth limit and you've hit the limit, the pretty much the only thing you can do is wait for next month's cycle to begin.

If you have DSL, cable or FIOS with no bandwidth limits, then the first step will be to reboot your router and/or modem if you have one. If that doesn't get it going, then its time to call for help. Get a tech in there to check everything.

You have a bandwidth problem. You say you have high speed internet, but who provides it and what type is it? Broadband provided by a cellular carrier will have a monthly bandwidth limit and once you hit that limit, your bandwidth, i.e. speed, will get dialed back to almost nothing. Broadband provided by a satellite company will also have monthly bandwidth limits. If you have an account that has a monthly bandwidth limit and you've hit the limit, the pretty much the only thing you can do is wait for next month's cycle to begin.

If you have DSL, cable or FIOS with no bandwidth limits, then the first step will be to reboot your router and/or modem if you have one. If that doesn't get it going, then its time to call for help. Get a tech in there to check everything.

I'm not sure you caught this johan. I think he's using the AOL main page as his browser.
The solution may be as simple as getting him on a good browser.

I have Comcast for internet and tv. Have no idea what type. . Just did the speed test download is 34.32 mbps...upload 5.91 mbps. I do have internet explorer on the computer. I don't know if AOL uses that or not.

If you have comcast you don't even need AOL.

You have a broadband cable connection and 34 mb is plenty fast actually.

Stop opening AOL. Just go to Internet Explorer or whatever browser you choose.

Last edited:
Would someone try explaining to Monte55 why he needs to download a browser? I haven't done a good job of it.

He's driving a Moped and he's got a Ferrari setting in the garage.

Would someone try explaining to Monte55 why he needs to download a browser? I haven't done a good job of it.

He's driving a Moped and he's got a Ferrari setting in the garage.

It's hard to add to that.
AOL means Always Off Line.
Seriously, AOL still has customers?

It's hard to add to that.
AOL means Always Off Line.
Seriously, AOL still has customers?

You don't have to be a customer to use their page, or their mail.

The last couple of days some of the videos I watch here and other places will stop playing after a bit and I have the rotating circle in the middle like it's still loading the video.
Sounds like the problem only started a few days ago. Maybe nothing to do with AOL.

When I have problems like this, I first run Ccleaner. Link
Then I check that I have the latest Adobe Flash. Link
You Tube is also moving to html5. Link
Then I would run Malwarebytes to look for a virus. Link

BUT AOL is outdated, I recommend downloading Firefox browser. Link

For more help, ask here. . PC Mech Forums

Reactions: IflyinWY

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members