Compass calibration

Reaction score
I have a couple of concerns that I would like some input. I have aP4 with all the current updates. I have found that since I did the updates compass calibration is not an option any longer. That was something I did before every flight. Probably overkill but is what I did. I have also found that getting it to read home point before take off does not happen every time. Sometimes I have to shut down both the bird and controller for it to record home point. Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks,
Jim

I have a couple of concerns that I would like some input. I have aP4 with all the current updates. I have found that since I did the updates compass calibration is not an option any longer. That was something I did before every flight. Probably overkill but is what I did. I have also found that getting it to read home point before take off does not happen every time. Sometimes I have to shut down both the bird and controller for it to record home point. Any ideas would be appreciated
1. You never needed to do any compass calibration - read p57 of your manual
Repeated unnecessary compass calibration is a risky habit and likely to cause more problems than what you imagine you are preventing.
2. Compass calibration is still an option but DJI took it away from the place you were used to because people kept thinking the calibrate button was telling them that they needed to recalibrate.
Look at the Sensor Data page and you'll find it there .... but don't keep using it.

Your homepoint question sounds unusual.
How can you tell that the home point is not being recorded?

Reactions: snowghost
I was aware that the manual stated that about the calibration. Where i got that habbit was from a couple of different YouTube videos that I watched that suggested doing calibrations often, if not every time.. That is one habbit that will be easy to let go, thanks for that advise..
As far as the home point recorded, the only way I am aware of is when it is stated off my iPad. If I dont here that chick tell me that home point has been recorded then I dont take off. It always happens after I reboot. If there is another way to check that I would love to know it.

Thanks

As far as the home point recorded, the only way I am aware of is when it is stated off my iPad. If I dont here that chick tell me that home point has been recorded then I dont take off. It always happens after I reboot. If there is another way to check that I would love to know it.
It would be very unusual for the Phantom to not record a home point before takeoff.
The only situations I've heard of that happening would be if the pilot takes off prematurely or the Phantom is in a bad location with the sky view blocked by buildings, tree cover etc.
The homepoint is recorded by the Phantom itself so rebooting the tablet shouldn't make any difference.
I wonder if it might have been a case of the volume on your tablet turned down?
If you looked at the flight record for those situations you could see if it had actually recorded a point but you weren't aware of it.
You can see visually on the app that the HP is recorded.
This screenshot shows my Phantom under a roof that is blocking sats.
i-vdJXK8d-M.png

Note the Distance is shown as N/A because there is no point to measure the distance from.
When your home point is recorded, the N/A is replaced by a distance from home and until takeoff, this should be a very small number ... like 0 or 0.1 metres.

Thanks for responding. None of your thoughts were the case in all the times it has happened (4). Is it possible that the home point is recorded but not announced for whatever reason? Whatever the reason, I would not feel comfortable taking off without that announcement. Or am I I being ridiculous?

Thanks for responding. None of your thoughts were the case in all the times it has happened (4). Is it possible that the home point is recorded but not announced for whatever reason? Whatever the reason, I would not feel comfortable taking off without that announcement. Or am I I being ridiculous?
If I can see that the Phantom has a home point by the distance measurement (you can't get a distance from home until you have a home to measure to), I know that it's safe to fly.
The home point showing on the map is another confirmation.

My P4 stopped asking for a compass set, if I flick the switch through to atti a couple of times it allows me to re-set it.

My P4 stopped asking for a compass set, if I flick the switch through to atti a couple of times it allows me to re-set it.
What do you mean it stopped asking?
The only time it would be asking would be when either the compass is disconnected - or you put it down close to a lot of steel.
DJI did remove the compass calibration feature from the Status Page you see when you connect to the Phantom because too many people thought the Compass Calibrate button was a message telling them to calibrate.
The button is still available on the Sensor Data page of the app settings.

Reactions: Robert Kelly
The position of the Home point is shown on the map screen and is represented by a green "H". Not a bad thing to check before you travel very far.

This is an excellent point and I will tell you why;

Don't fly if you notice that home position shown on the map screen doesn't match with physical craft position. Would mean recorded position is not acurate as doesn't match with reality. In case of RTH craft would go somewhere else or fly away. This happened to a pilot where home position was over the sea whereas standing on the beach. Rare case but quick look at the map isn't difficult and maybe good one to add in check-list. Hope does help!

By the way I remember some pilot reported no voice to confirm home point recorded and home point was actually NOT recorded for wathever reason. I had this while flying under pine trees acting as umbrellas so hidden satellites. Not saying your case but more background for you..

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Kelly
Repeated unnecessary compass calibration is a risky habit and likely to cause more problems than what you imagine you are preventing.
2. Compass calibration is still an option but DJI took it away from the place you were used to because people kept thinking the calibrate button was telling them that they needed to recalibrate.
Look at the Sensor Data page and you'll find it there .... but don't keep using it.

That’s not what my manual says - it does say to calibrate before every flight...
f2e40dcfb1a29ec03099d808c61de3a6.jpg

That’s not what my manual says - it does say to calibrate before every flight...
If you think so, you'd better download an up-to-date version of your manual and see what it says now.
This is what you'll find
i-Q9CJx8r-M.jpg

The earlier manuals had a poorly written section about the compass that made some people believe they needed to recalibrate the compass frequently.
Besides being wrong, it was also more likely to cause problems that might have led to losing your Phantom than making your flight safer.

I always takeoff and fly a couple of hundred feet and then hit RTH just to make sure.

You'd notice an issue before you RTH'd. The compass establishes heading, the direction associated with Forward.
Yes, this is required to RTH but it is essential to normal flight foremost.

My DJI Go apps have lost the map in both my copters. I have a Phantom 3 Pro and 4 Pro and the map is no where to be found. My Litchi app has been my back up it is showing maps as it should. Any ideas why this app has decided to stop showing my map?

What damage or why would frequent compass calibration cause?

What damage or why would frequent compass calibration cause?
Frequent unnecessary calibration increases the risk of giving your Phantom a bad calibration.
Here's an example of what that can do ..... and it can turn out a lot worse
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I went to a grossly overpriced full day class from a national drone school and the "instructor" suggested re calibrating the compass any time you move to a new area, say even just a few miles away but certainly to a new city. Was this guy full of baloney or is this good advice?

Reactions: Ing Zimmerman
In my personal experience?, yes, full of bologna.

Cal-ed in S Fla, travelled by airline to N Carolina (600 miles). Flew fine and same after return to Fla.

Haven't cal-ed since.

f2e40dcfb1a29ec03099d808c61de3a6.jpg
Actually, the manual tells you to 'ensure that the compass is calibrated' before each flight, doesn't say to perform a calibration. Semantics that have been cleared up in the latest version of the manual.

Reactions: Ing Zimmerman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan