Cold weather

Reaction score
It's gonna be getting cold here in the States soon. This bird hasn't seen cold weather yet. Do you think there's any problem running it in the cold?

It's gonna be getting cold here in the States soon. This bird hasn't seen cold weather yet. Do you think there's any problem running it in the cold?
There are guys flying in cold conditions-- I don't know how cold-- I am sure there would be a limit.

15-20 degrees Fahrenheit ?
Someone will chime in here with the right answer-- but I wouldn't think that would be an issue if the batteries were not below freezing before you started--

I'm interested in this as well. Also how cold you can store batteries. My basement gets down to about 50- 54 degrees in the winter. Any worries with temps that low ?

No problem, I have flown in below zero temps and other have too. One guy flew one at the south pole... had to keep the batteries in a heater. :D

Reactions: dirkclod
Low temps severely reduce flight time if the batts get to cold. Keep your Batts in a warm vehicle until you are ready to fly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just spent two days in Frankfurt filming in 14-20° weather and went through 4 batteries with no problems. I think you will be fine!

This is above 60 Fahrenheit!
Germany uses Celsius. Huskerfan was referring to Fahrenheit. 14 to 20 F( ~-6 to -8 Celsius).
0 celsius = 32 Fahrenheit = Freezing point of water

A friend from the N posted this the other day...
He's way up there in extreme Northern Canada.

Kids already ice skating in September
Grise Fiord Nunavut, Canada's most northernly village.

Pretty slick. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: badbeerbreath
I think the batteries I'll need to be warmed up first before flying, otherwise shorter flight times will happen, maybe even complete failures of one or more cells if the batteries are well used. I think you can by warmers for them though.

Reactions: brianb87
I'm looking forward to the cool weather.

My iPhone shouldn't heat up as much and degrade the video feed.

Batteries will cool down faster thus lessening the time to wait until charging them on location.

All these cotton and soybean fields around me will of been harvested by then and I can fly from them!

So, keep batteries warm and I will be fine. Thanks for all the responses and for answering my questions!

According to Phantom 3 specs the operating temp is 0-40C for the drone and remote. The battery is good from -10 – 40C.

My Phantom definitely gets hotter than 40*C while hitting it hard.
Check you battery temps folks, when you're finished a set... ;-)

Perhaps that rating should realistically read >< 50*C?

RedHotPoker

I have flown my Phantom 2 before in the lovely Canadian winter. As long as you keep the battery warm before putting in the quad and watch your battery level, you will be fine.

Can't wait to try my P3 this winter

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl