Clipped A Tree - 15-20ft up - Problem.

Reaction score
I did a crazy, stupid thing yesterday. I took off with my P3A & noticed that my Pilot app only showed about 8 Sats. While looking at the Controller I momentarily took my eye off the drone which clipped the branches of a tree some 15ft up . My P3A tumbled to the grassy lawn. I wiped off the grass stains & noticed a couple of niks in one of the Rotor Arms. The props seemed fine but one of them was just touching the arm as it rotated. I guess the arm is slightly bent. I put a little pressure on it to try & stop it touching which successfully worked but the prop rotation is still too near the arm which to me would put the drone out of balance. I did a test flight & all seemed well. It did however seem a bit twitchy which could well have been the slight breeze. However, I am concerned about the prop clearing the arm less than the other three. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Tried putting on new prop. Same problem. It's weird as the arm is not obviously bent!
Pics attached:-

IMG_2258_zpswgj1scfe.jpg

IMG_2255_zpspsauw03j.jpg
IMG_2253_zps5zpnlwrx.jpg
IMG_2257_zpsfby3vvgo.jpg

bend it back with a heat gun same happens here, do a full IMU Cal after

Will a hairdryer do as I do not have a heat gun. Can you run me through exactly what you did?
When i get home tonite will send u info don't worry

Matt first thing find a flat surface ( table) and put a towel where you will set the bird upside down
unscrew all screws from each arm 3 allen plus a small phillips at the end on the arm,once done hold the bird and turn and flip it back holding the upper shell, cut with a knife the sticker then the upper shell is ready to remove, most likely the arm that is bend will be a little harder but lifted slow couse of the gps sensor unpluged.
set the upper shell on the flat table and heat the arm where you have that dent on the sides, and easy bending it syou can flipped and put pressure till i get flat on table ( put some heat on center or arm upside down,do the same on lower and make sure all prop screws sit flat on table, you can help it by pressing on dent with finger on both sides.
if it has dirt on the led cover plastic cover you can unscrew 2 tiny screw on ESC tat will release the lense good time to check your esc for damage ,when you put it back check your gps plug mine was kind of loose so i used some tape to secure better,(heard pv2 got some issues with loose plugs,before you take it up make sure you do a full IMU cal.
I Hope this will help, mine is a pv2+ but they will be almost the same will send a pic on fine how it looks now.
Ps hair dryer will work get it close to plastic,carefull on the lower arm with esc
Mar

Pics
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1454.JPG

First up marg2 states the P2 shell is almost the same....well it's not, they are very different in the way the two halves are held together. Your third pic shows why your prop is close to the arm, it's got two kinks showing clearly, one inboard of the motor, the other above the landing gear leg. Realistically you should be looking at a new shell when they become available. If you decide to open the shell, be aware it's not easy, there are a number of locking tabs that need to be carefully prised apart. Try and find mohans thread where he shows pics of an opened up P3 and you'll see the tabs.

Last edited:
Matt first thing find a flat surface ( table) and put a towel where you will set the bird upside down
unscrew all screws from each arm 3 allen plus a small phillips at the end on the arm,once done hold the bird and turn and flip it back holding the upper shell, cut with a knife the sticker then the upper shell is ready to remove, most likely the arm that is bend will be a little harder but lifted slow couse of the gps sensor unpluged.
set the upper shell on the flat table and heat the arm where you have that dent on the sides, and easy bending it syou can flipped and put pressure till i get flat on table ( put some heat on center or arm upside down,do the same on lower and make sure all prop screws sit flat on table, you can help it by pressing on dent with finger on both sides.
if it has dirt on the led cover plastic cover you can unscrew 2 tiny screw on ESC tat will release the lense good time to check your esc for damage ,when you put it back check your gps plug mine was kind of loose so i used some tape to secure better,(heard pv2 got some issues with loose plugs,before you take it up make sure you do a full IMU cal.
I Hope this will help, mine is a pv2+ but they will be almost the same will send a pic on fine how it looks now.
Ps hair dryer will work get it close to plastic,carefull on the lower arm with esc
Mar

I'm in the same situation. I'm hesitant to use a hair dryer on the bottom part of the arm (due to the LED light).

I'm guessing the heat did not affect the LED light as you can fly it again?

I've experienced perfectly the same on P2. I used gas lighter to fix it :), but later I bought new shell for safety. Also LED are jumped away, one motor broke, so I exchanged the ESC & motor.
For P3, soon new shell may be available I think.
BTW I'm worrying if one ESC is gone, we must exchange whole motherboard on P3...?

got the p2 Matt and Taroh works fine here, how is the weather dowunder, doing an IMU and finally going high no rain in Houston Tx

Mar

Many, Many thanks Marg2! I'll try later....

Finally got my bird back from a local repairer in Basingstoke, (Build Your Own Drone), who put on a new shell for me! Just waiting for the rain to stop! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers