Cliff-surfing at Cairns Bay

Absolutely loved it. It gave me a feel for the area. Now you need a good guide, "on how to clean salt water from your drone ". Your craziness on flying close to the action made for a good video. Like the guy that flew his into a volcano. Lol.

Very nice!

Reactions: Pygar70
Absolutely loved it. It gave me a feel for the area. Now you need a good guide, "on how to clean salt water from your drone ". Your craziness on flying close to the action made for a good video. Like the guy that flew his into a volcano. Lol.
Proximity flying certainly makes things more interesting. I wouldn't recommend attempting it without goggles. Not that I use goggles myself - which would be against the law.

While I think I avoided getting splashed, the lens had gotten sea spray on it. It was only when reviewing the footage that I realised the picture quality had deteriorated over the duration of my three flights.

If anyone's interested, I made two other videos from the footage I took that morning. Both involve low-level flying.
Unusually for my videos, the first contains a 2 min segment without any cuts, and in the second, the entire video is a single take of 4 min.

Last edited:
Reactions: doug_las
Wau! The first one is even better than the previous one.
Excellent flying. Particular that around the rock. Pretty scary was the moment when you turned around and start flying backward because the rock was behind you. But your judgment about the surroundings was just fine.
Reall excellent!

Wau! The first one is even better than the previous one.
Excellent flying. Particular that around the rock. Pretty scary was the moment when you turned around and start flying backward because the rock was behind you. But your judgment about the surroundings was just fine.
Reall excellent!
Thank you, sir. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cool stuff,,I watched when first posted,couldn't log in due to tablet issue till now

Reactions: Pygar70
What was the max flight distance of this flight?
Footage in the Cliff Surfing video ranged over a straight line distance (from 'home') of about 2.5 km, but the route taken - following the coastline, was longer.
My turnaround point in the 'part 2' video was 1.5 km from home.

Pretty long distance.
So you took the second video from a different location.
Any signal issues?

Pretty long distance.
So you took the second video from a different location.
Any signal issues?
No, same launch spot. My position on a promontory allowed me to fly below the cliffs - since I was positioned some 250 metres further out to sea than the coastline my drone was flying along. Only about 25% of the cliff wall along that 2.5 km stretch was inaccessible due to signal obstruction. Under those conditions (line-of-sight and no wi-fi interference), the P4 would likely have been controllable beyond 7 km.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20