Cinelike - detailed values for Picture Profile

Reaction score
Website
jpblcm.com
Howdy,
I try to match several cameras (same sony 1' sensor) I'm searching for detailed picture profile values about DJI cinelike that I can use to create same PP.
(Black level, Gamma, Black Gamma, Knee, saturation, colorphase.... ans so on).
At this time I could not find anything serious by my searches.
Thank you

How do you plan to use this new profile? I know of no way to add a new profile to the drone. It may be possible using the DJI application interface, but I have never heard of anyone doing it successfully.

This is a necessary step if you want to make a true new profile. These profiles are used early in the image pipeline when demosaicing the sensor image before creating and writing the video file. If you try to apply it after the file is written, it only modifies the file originally encoded with the dji selected profile. You are much better off using color correction in post to correct individual shots.

If you find something that works, you can save it as a LUT and apply it to all your shotsquite easily.

Hello David,
My question was : what are the values DJI uses in his D-cinelike picture profile, to copy them in the Picture Profiles of my cameras ( except goPro of course...).
I use phantom (inspire sometimes), goPro, Ursa, sony... and unifying at the closest possible profiles must help.
Grading in post from the ground, sure, but it is time consuming.

I understand what you are saying now. DJI does not publish this information, perhaps for proprietary reasons. The only way to simplify your process as you wish would be to create a LUT for your camera to make it match as closely as possible the DJI output. as long as you like the DJI output. This out can then easily be applied to all shots from that camera without a lot of trouble.

This entire process is not as simple as it seems on the surface. I shoot with MA1 Cinema D, Mavic Adv, Panasonic UG-180, and Nikon FL. They do not match particularly well. Black level, Gamma, Black Gamma, Knee, saturation, colorphase all play a part, although color phase is less useful as most LUTs work with color temperature and g-magenta adjustments. The only thing that has worked at all is to pick a single color space definition, and adjust all the cameras video to match in that color space. Theoretically this should work well, but in practice it doesn't. I end up individually grading shots anyway to make them "match".

The problem appears to be in 2 areas. One is that none the sensor's basic color responses match exactly. The second, and more problematic, is that exposure differences between the cameras whose shots you want to match throw any standard adjustment off. Anything having to do with the tone response -Black level, Gamma, Black Gamma, Knee all change visually significantly with exposure.

Let me know if you find a solution that works.

By the way, this problem exists in all areas of critical video production, not with drones only. Multicamera shooting is common, with the need to match shots across the same action shot with different cameras. Depending on your standards around the result, the only easy solution is shooting with identically matched same model cameras.

Reactions: jpblcm
You are perfectly right. And to add a bit more of confusion : white balance is auto on drones, manual on cameras... not simple at the end.
:cool:

Hello,
Choices between pre-calibrated white balances... it is auto. The manual white balance requires a white sheet in light which is illuminating the scene you will shoot and a calibration. In normal conditions, I use to do the manual WB each hours if no clouds or if constant clouds. An old habit I was doing on Betacam sp camera... never ruin an image with that.
At this time, a bad balance was a real problem...

You are perfectly right. And to add a bit more of confusion : white balance is auto on drones, manual on cameras... not simple at the end.
:cool:
JP - you have a Phantom 4 Pro v2 as I do, you can set the WB on manual - and I always do- at least for simple color temperature.
Don't know about the others.....
Not perfect, but at least all the scenes with that camera on a given hour will be constant. It is kind of a mess though...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic