Checking batteries in Airdata

Reaction score
I found this battery check in Airdata menu very useful and precise. You can see tha capacity and voltage with graphic analysis of cell deviation. So you get pretty complex data of the stat of your battery.
Now I'm interested if somebody can tells me how this data are accurate. Because I found one battery (actually it's for MavAir, but this is the general question) a little swelled. Almost invisible but putting the battery on a flat surface it is obvious. The problem is that the battery analysis for this one is completelly OK. No cell deviation, normal charging and flight duration.
But the other one battery without any swelling shows evident cell deviation for one cell to max 0.105 V lasting 1 min and 5 sec.
How should I react. Put the swelled battery away, put the battery with one near bad cell away or put both batt. away? That is the question (by Hamlet LOL).

I have one P3 battery that is a tight fit because of slight swelling and another that sometimes has a small cell deviation.

I just monitor them - but both still fly same and no problems.

I've been using AirData for couple years. Those cell deviations can be minor and normal or more serious - depends on what the report is saying about the severity.

My AirData report says "Major deviation is when a cell differs more than 0.07v from the other cells. Please note that normal batteries can have a few of these." On my latest report for one of my batteries, one cell was slightly in the orange zone. No big deal.

As far as the swollen battery - I'd probably get rid of it (properly). No sense playing with a battery that is starting to swell, in my opinion.

Orange is OK. The red is much less OK. But seems the time it stayed in that deviation is important too. If it is for one or two seconds maybe something to be inspected more often. But when the red deviation persists one minute or something like that it would be not very wise to fly with that batt.
My problem is little swelling of one battery which passed the check with no issue but the other one with no swelling has more than 1 min red zone deviation in one cell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj