Charging phantom with inverter

Reaction score
has anyone had success plugging the power charger into an inverter in the field?

Hooked to a car battery of course.

I have a phantom 3 and have a couple of deep cycle batteries I keep in the back of the pickup to charge my Heli batteries with a powerlab 8. The inverter I purchased is a 750 watt modified sine wave inverter. Compatible with the DJI charger?

Just fine. I've used my crappy 300W inverter on a couple occasions, and though it did get a little hot, it worked.

Ya that will work even with just a modified sign wave inverter. Tho on an inverter depending on what its actually output ac voltage is it may take a few mins more if its only putting out 110vac or 115vac compared to if it puts out 118v same as if its plugged in to different wall out lets in different houses. and old house with only 110vac will take a little bit longer then if you have a house with 120 (usually its actually 118v)

Tho one thing Thats occurred to me about the p3s when I do field charging is I will not be able to just go with out the inverter and plug directly in to my 12vdc battery bank like I do to charge my p2 battery's Which lets them charge even faster then the stock charger will charge. So I'm going to have to go back to using an inverter or figure out a way to get 18v. From my 12v battery's. Being I think wiring 2 in series to get 24v may be to much and I dont want to go get 3 6 volt battery's.

Works great... I have this one, which can plug into cigarette lighter. It's hard to find a 300 watt that will plug into your cigarettle lighter. Anything more may actually blow your fuse.

upload_2015-5-8_17-45-42.png

Is this quick calc correct? Using an inverter with the 100w charger on the p3 Pro from a 12v car battery draws at 8.3 amps, and about 10.5 amps if 80% efficient. Will this be ok attached to car cigarette lighter with 15 amp fuse, or is it better to come straight from the battery? An auto-electrician suggested that wiring to cig lighter can be a bit weak and unreliable ie might melt.

Is this quick calc correct? Using an inverter with the 100w charger on the p3 Pro from a 12v car battery draws at 8.3 amps, and about 10.5 amps if 80% efficient. Will this be ok attached to car cigarette lighter with 15 amp fuse, or is it better to come straight from the battery? An auto-electrician suggested that wiring to cig lighter can be a bit weak and unreliable ie might melt.
100w and you should be okay. I'd say anything around 300w and above it would be close. Most lighter port are power ports these days, or at least many vehicle's have at least one power port. From what I recall, the charger pulls about 125w at first and then goes down to 30w at the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers