Charging for real-estate photography

Reaction score
I filed for a FAA exemption last month but I have some real-estate contacts right now that are wanting me to do some aerial photography. What is a realistic charge for photos and 2-3 minute videos of a property? For anyone who has done real-estate shoots, what are your rates or do you have a per-job charge?

I would be extremely careful on doing anything until your exemptions go through. A $200-$500 job could cost you $20,000 in fines and fees. Not to mention a denial of the exemptions you filed for. Not worth it in my opinion.

On the other hand I know of some charging $100 per hour with a 1 hour minimum.

The going price will probably rely heavily on the location.

BTW, if you don't already have your private pilot license, then you should definitely start working on that before worrying about pricing.

BTW, if you don't already have your private pilot license, then you should definitely start working on that before worrying about pricing.

That's old news.

You can find the text below on this web page (among others):
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/15/pr...l-drones-but-delivery-drones-remain-grounded/

"Here are the basics of the rules, which will apply to drones weighing fewer than 55 pounds: pilots will have to pass a knowledge test (but not a practical test) to get a newly developed drone operator license and will have to be vetted by the TSA. They will have to take a recurrent test every 24 months and be at least 17 years old. Pilots will only be allowed to fly during daytime hours and must be able to see the drone at all times (though they can also use a second operator as an observer). Once an operator has this license, it will apply to all small drones.

Thankfully, it turns out that the FAA will not require drone pilots to get a private or commercial pilots license, and operators will not have to pass a medical exam."

aren't they likely to start issuing licenses for drones in a year or 2? I'm not a pilot, how could I get a license that people who fly planes and choppers get?

N017RW, I'm talking about the current rules. You're talking about new proposed rules.

aren't they likely to start issuing licenses for drones in a year or 2? I'm not a pilot, how could I get a license that people who fly planes and choppers get?

Don't panic...see above post.

aresdx, the FAA is working on creating a SUAS certificate which will replace the current private pilot license requirement. They haven't indicated when those new rules will be out though.

IMO it's a waste of time going for a pilot's license just to be exempt until the new rules come out in a year or so. By the time you spend 10K and get the license, you won't need it anymore. IMO you should just conduct your business within AMA safety rules for now and claim you are flying for fun or practicing to help a friend out with his house. If someone complains, just be polite and move on. I had to fly a site in NYC and asked the local NYPD precinct if they would have a problem with me flying a drone on private property. The answer I got was that they (the NYPD) had no specific rules on their books and they didn't care unless it was jeopardizing public safety. I may have just been lucky that day and a call to a different precinct may have yielded a different answer (I suspect it all depends on who answers the phone). So I'm pretty sure if you aren't bothering anyone or doing something stupid and dangerous, nobody is going to make a fuss about flying without an exemption for a private fee. (Yes it's commercial, but I consider any business I conduct to be a private matter.) I have to believe a lot of individuals (and maybe some companies) are doing the same but are keeping a low profile. Again, just my opinion.

And I'm sure the FAA just threw that Pilot's license requirement in there for now to make an exemption useless with out it -- so they wouldn't be inundated with exemption requests.

Last edited:
MapMaker53, with that said, I'd like to add what you're suggesting is not legal. For those people who want to do things by the book, an exemption and pilot certificate is the only way to go.

Yes. Absolutely what I am suggesting is not legal at this time. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap now.

Hah, well, I didn't mean for you to do that. I just didn't want anyone to be misled.

BTW, a US law requires an airman certificate for all commercial flights. That's why the FAA is requiring an airman certificate.

Maybe they'd accept my Aircrew status from the Marine Corps...lol

BTW.. The reason I don't mind skirting this law as long as I fly with safety in mind is the absurdity of it. I can fly a site as a "hobbyist" and take as any videos and photos I like if I receive no payment. Heck, I can do it 10 days in a row if I like. The FAA is fine with that. But as soon as someone pays me for those photos - even a year later - then suddenly those past flights become illegal and I have broken the law. Was safety somehow compromised because someone paid me a few dollars a year later? The current law is what it is, but I think it's absurd.

Here's an even crazier aspect of the law. I can SELL MY ACTUAL DRONE FOR A FEE, but a year later if I sell a photo that I had taken with it I have broken the law. Okay... I'm done ranting.

Last edited:
I charge for photos, droneyourhome.us. I don't fly over 100" anymore till my 333 goes through. I can legally fly a kite 200" with a camera and not break any laws. It's all *** backwards and a big money grab when the FAA starts charging. Don't get me started on the Japanese lanterns. Lol.

No but I will argue it all day. Gen-Aviation can't fly that low unless on approach or takeoff. My average altitude is 30-60 feet anyways.

Seems there are so many ways someone could get away with this on a small safe level that the FAA (if they were inclined to try to prosecute) would have a difficult time proving. Payment in cash, payment through a third party who didn't own a drone, etc. All hypothetical of course. The FAA was never set up or given enough resources to investigate model airplane flying. IMO this current state of the law is just a hastily established road block that was thrown up by the FAA while they try to establish reasonable regulations for this new use of airspace. I just hope they resolve it soon.

Meanwhile, a guy flies in a gyrocopter and lands on the Capitol Building's front lawn yesterday. And the FAA is worried about me?

Reactions: Bigdz
Do your job, and sell the agent a bottle of water for $250.00 done.

Right now get as many free jobs you can of different layouts, car lot, real estate, nursery and things like that do bro Bono. Beef up your portfolio so when it comes time you can show paying customers. And at the same time your getting your time windows and processing fees for charging and comfort level plus a great word of mouth.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic