Charging Batteries Away from Power?

Reaction score
Hey all!
I don't specifically need a phantom forum for this, but you guys are my best chance of good answers!
So. I have a Phantom 2, and (as someone still studying) have received a few jobs on the side. I only have 2 batteries - how might I charge these when filming halfway across the UK?
I know cars can do a bit - and of course I will arrive with everything fully charged, BUT (this is the main part of my question) are there any good battery packs out there. I'm not talking about the ones that can charge your iPhone a few times over - I'm talking about big ones that could charge a Phantom battery 2 or more times.
Please give me options - I am yet to decide if a big budget is worth it, but I hope they aren't excessively expensive?
Thank you!
Baldrick

Hi Baldrick
DJI supply a charger that will connect to the car battery, that will do the job, I use a portable 12v power pack used for jump starting a car and a Turnigy Accucel 6 charger/regulator, here is an example from Halfords:-
Ring Automotive 9AH Compact PowerPack with LED Lights and USB Sockets
You will of course need a Charger/Regulator, to govern the rate of charge into your Lipo's, (thats where the DJI dongle or Turnigy is good), the Halford charger that I link too above is only an example, it will give you 9000 mAh, your Phantom 2 batteries are rated at 5300 mAh, but assuming you only run them down to say 20% , 9000 mAh should give you 2 charges of your phantom batteries.

Hope this helps
Waylander

I installed an 1100W power inverter in my car, so I'm able to charge all batteries simultaneously, and on the go...

I installed an 1100W power inverter in my car, so I'm able to charge all batteries simultaneously, and on the go...
Hi Qoncussion
Have you got any details of the inverter that you used, and any other wiring details please .... :)
Waylander

I purchased an 1100 watt "Modified" Sine Wave inverter - which I later discovered was a mild mistake. What you really want is a True Sine Wave inverter, but they cost considerably more. Many electronics, including the inline bricks to most charging devices (such as P2 batteries) will work on a modified sine wave, but not perfectly. These bricks hum a little during battery charges. They don't overheat, and they do take a full charge - no problem. That said, I've been using it for a while and everything works great - except for one issue. My Black Pearl FPV monitor will only charge if it is the only device charging at the time. If other devices are charging with it, it shuts down and stops charging. I have to pull the battery, put it back in and start the charging process again. On its own, it takes a charge just fine. No problem.

This is the unit I have:
Amazon.com: ENERGIZER 1100 Watt Power Inverter converts 12V DC from car's battery to 120 Volt AC with 2 USB ports 2.1A shared compatible with iPad iPhone: Electronics

The wiring consists of a 4 guage wire running directly from the battery with a 100W inline fuse right near the point of connection to the battery. You always want your fuse closer to the power source, than the object it is feeding power to. As a professional videographer, I've been able to run 1000 watts of lighting off of this thing, out in the field, and it works brilliantly.

I have 3 P2 batteries. At any given location, I'll generally burn up one or two of them - seldom all three. Which leaves me a fresh battery for the next location, while the other one or two are charging in the back of the car. It takes exactly the same amount of time to charge batteries on this, as it does at home. You just have to keep an eye on the available voltage of your car battery, which this inverter displays on its LCD screen, and fire up your engine from time to time to recharge the car battery so you don't get stranded with a dead battery. I've charged two P2 batteries and my GoPro simultaneously to full capacity while the car was sitting idle the entire time, and was able to fire up the car no problem afterwards. When you're driving from one location to the next is the best time to charge, as the car is running the entire time. I place the batteries in a metal box while they're charging in the car - to be safe, but leave the top of the box open. I want to know if something goes wrong and throw that box from the car, rather than wait till it's too late :)

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 2015-06-12 12.53.59-1.jpg
    2015-06-12 12.53.59-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 380
Reactions: Baldrick

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members