cell service

Reaction score
just a question cant seam to find a tread with a answer.

do you need to have cell phone service or wifi to have the dji go 4 app work right? can you still fly without service to the tablet

Just for the first time to load the app do you need the internet, wifi. After that, fly, you don't need it. It's good to load some maps ahead of time. I have been in places with no cell service and it flys great.

Reactions: Capt KO and DroneB
Just for the first time to load the app do you need the internet, wifi. After that, fly, you don't need it. It's good to load some maps ahead of time. I have been in places with no cell service and it flys great.
Thanks, thats what I thought. I been flying with service but my tablet got broke now I need to use an old one that has no service now

i’ve never had the pleasure of cell on my devices. Does just fine. Without cell, you won’t have gps in you device but it’s only used for “follow me” anyhow. As stated, load maps of your flight area while you still have internet. (Home)

i’ve never had the pleasure of cell on my devices. Does just fine. Without cell, you won’t have gps in you device but it’s only used for “follow me” anyhow. As stated, load maps of your flight area while you still have internet. (Home)
Cell service has nothing to do with GPS.
If the device has a GPS receiver, it will work perfectly well without a cell connection.

Reactions: Oso
Without cell, you won’t have gps in you device but it’s only used for “follow me” anyhow.
As noted, this is not entirely correct.

Perhaps you meant to say that if you don't have a cellular enabled iPad, it will not have GPS. Most Android tablets are GPS enabled, so it's only Apple that does not enable GPS for Wi-Fi only versions of their iPad. Also as noted, if the device does have GPS, no cellular service is required.

A GPS enabled device is required to use the few optional features which require GPS at the RC location such as Follow Me (P3) or updating the home point to the current position of the RC / device. No cellular service is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
just a question cant seam to find a tread with a answer.

do you need to have cell phone service or wifi to have the dji go 4 app work right? can you still fly without service to the tablet
Initial set-up of a brand new bird requires Internet access either via cell or WiFi. Once done, IF YOU PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT, you'll never have to connect your drone to the Internet again.

Note: To cache maps for missions or share missions across platforms you WILL have to connect your iPad to the Internet. But the iPad doesn't have to be connected to the bird. Ergo; the bird doesn't have to be connected to the Internet. I haven't flown my Inspire 1 while connected to the Internet for years. Same goes for my P4P and my Mavic Pro.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic