carbon fiber props

Reaction score
When I ordered my new P4Advanced drone I ordered an extra set of Non-DJI carbon fiber props. Upon receipt of the box, the bag the carbon fiber prop came in has written, "fly at your own risk".
Please explain that? Have I messed up by putting carbon fiber props on my bird? Any advice would be appreciated.

When I ordered my new P4Advanced drone I ordered an extra set of Non-DJI carbon fiber props. Upon receipt of the box, the bag the carbon fiber prop came in has written, "fly at your own risk".
Please explain that? Have I messed up by putting carbon fiber props on my bird? Any advice would be appreciated.
The message means, the manufacturer doesn't want to take any responsibility for whatever negative consequences you might end up with.

What did you think CF props would do for your Phantom?
Presumable you imagined that somehow CF would do something better.
Just a little searching will come up with plenty of threads about CF props.
None have demonstrated any actual improvement in flight characteristics.
Some have ended badly for the Phantoms they were attached to,

Because they're pointless and they don't have any real QC, so it's up to you to take the risk to use props that are inferior to stock.

Carbon Fiber sounds cool. That's why people buy them. I don't think anyone has found an after market prop that performs better than stock. Plus, if that prop fails, so does your warranty claim. If a DJI prop fails, you have a better chance of getting it repaired despite the props not having a warranty. Hence the warning.

While under warranty you should stay with originals,,I have set of these and seem to work just fine ,but I do prefer originals,have played with many blades and just can't beat original props,

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I just purchased a P4P+ and I'm charging batteries as I send this. From what I see I in the tutorials I've watched I have to activate the drone during setup using a DJI account? How do I do this? Do I go to DJI website and do this before I start the actual out of box set-up or can I do this during set-up process. Please tell me what I need to do. Also I am doing to start out using the simulator on go app. Do I have to have wifi to use the simulator or can I connect directly from remote to the television with a cable( HDMI ?) I work out of town and would like to practice on the simulator in the evenings but we don't have a computer in the
apartment.

I would go to the DJI and set up an account , email and password. The first time you fly make sure you have wifi and connected. When GO starts it will ask you to login, do it and do not log out. once you logged in once and don't log out you do not have to login again, the next time you don't even need wifi and you could be in airplane mode and all works. GO may say updates required, these are optional and you can just cancel. Read Read Read how to configure your craft and fly the craft, RTH setup is VERY important.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I just purchased a P4P+ and I'm charging batteries as I send this. From what I see I in the tutorials I've watched I have to activate the drone during setup using a DJI account? How do I do this? Do I go to DJI website and do this before I start the actual out of box set-up or can I do this during set-up process. Please tell me what I need to do. Also I am doing to start out using the simulator on go app. Do I have to have wifi to use the simulator or can I connect directly from remote to the television with a cable( HDMI ?) I work out of town and would like to practice on the simulator in the evenings but we don't have a computer in the
apartment.
Read previous post ^^^^

If you hit the smallest limb with carbon fiber props check for cracks. They crack super easy and will fail in flight.

Last edited:
The message means, the manufacturer doesn't want to take any responsibility for whatever negative consequences you might end up with.

What did you think CF props would do for your Phantom?
Presumable you imagined that somehow CF would do something better.
Just a little searching will come up with plenty of threads about CF props.
None have demonstrated any actual improvement in flight characteristics.
Some have ended badly for the Phantoms they were attached to,
Thank you Meta4 for your guidance. I will stay stock. I was advised, though perhaps poorly, the CF props would add speed and faster lift to the craft. That CF props were more rigid and rugged.

While under warranty you should stay with originals,,I have set of these and seem to work just fine ,but I do prefer originals,have played with many blades and just can't beat original props,
Thank you for your advice. Will do just that.

I was advised, though perhaps poorly, the CF props would add speed and faster lift to the craft.

Ah, yes, carbon fiber props that actually improve flight performance, one of the perennial favorite topics on this site. Kind of like the elusive perpetual motion machine. Good direction from @Meta4 and a host of others above. While there may be the occasional report of some pilot breaking the sound barrier with his Phantom while sporting carbon fiber props, those reports are anecdotal. I don't know of any empirical studies being done that would prove out any solid advantages of carbon fiber props on a Phantom. To the contrary, I believe I've seen more than one post where non-OEM carbon fiber props actually induced instability, rather than improve the flight characteristics. And pleeeease don't ask me to go digging for those posts. Thank you.

NOPE! PURE CF props do improve the performance...hands down much mo bettah! Better bucking wind (and able to handle more wind) when hovering, quieter, faster acceleration, better battery life, more precise flying when obstacle avoidance turned OFF...overall a noticeable improvement. Hard to specifically quantify without a radar gun, etc., but the pure CF props are worth the $$. I have been flying my P4P for a year at least four times a week. Doing roofs, international bike races, the cliffs at La Jolla, weddings, family reunions and bomb-drop competitions. No question...if you can handle the extra performance, that is. Carbon fiber props are stiffer, aerodynamically cleaner, etc. Commercial airplane wing skins are now made of pure CF...The big fan blades on GE hi-bypass turbofan jet engines are ALL pure CF. Figure it out, gentlemen....pure CF is here to stay for one reason...it is MUCH MO BETTAH! To be sure...if you whack one against a tree branch it IS most likely history...but we don’t buy props to smash them into branches...so don’t do it! Buy ‘em, try ‘em...you will not go back to factory props. Yes, a bit more involved to put them on and remove them...so what? Install them, go to ATTI or Sport mode, turn off obstacle avoidance and have at it! Much more fun.
And gentlemen, please don’t respond with drivel about exactly how much faster, how much quieter, etc. Buy ‘em, try ‘em....

Thank you Jetjockey6. Appreciate your input.

Better bucking wind (and able to handle more wind) when hovering, quieter, faster acceleration, better battery life, more precise flying when obstacle avoidance turned OFF...overall a noticeable improvement. Hard to specifically quantify without a radar gun, etc ...
And gentlemen, please don’t respond with drivel about exactly how much faster, how much quieter, etc. Buy ‘em, try ‘em....
Actually it should be very easy to specifically quantify since the Phantom gives you accurate telemetry and records the flight data for analysis.
But all we see is responses like this saying they are in some vague, non-definable way "better".
A Phantom doesn't go faster because you changed a prop.
It goes faster because it tilts more and the tilting is controller by the settings in the flight controller.
The same goes for the rate of climb.
CF may be stiffer but is that "better"?
DJI's propulsion engineers specifically designed the flex in their props.
It helps smooth the ride like shock absorbers, which is a good thing for a camera drone.
It's a feature - not a bug.
Come back with some actual numbers to back up your assertion and you might be listened to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4