Cannot Fly My P1.1.1 With Vision Props

Reaction score
I have had my Phantom for a couple months now and have been upgrading it occasionally. I ordered a few different kinds of props to try out, I have some standard 8" props, some plastic 9" vision props, and some carbon fiber 9" vision props. I can fly with the 8" all day, no problem. Crash, bend a propeller in half? Bend it right back and continue flying with no problems. But when I put on any of the 9" props, plastic or CF, I lose control of my quad instantly. It pulls to one side very hard and eventually crashes. I have about a dozen props and though I have not balanced them (CF props were advertised as pre-balanced), the loss of control I am experiencing seems to be on a different level than slightly out of balance props. It is also weird that I can hand bend back my 8's and fly with their imperfections with no problems, but as soon as I put the 9's on its a different story. Is there anything else I could try? Or is balancing the 9's properly they only solution?

I fly with a v1.1.1 and 3 months ago I upgraded to v2, 9" props, I also bought some CF 9" props as well, after just one flight with the CF props (hardly any control & noisier ) I dumped them as I didn't want to mess with the gain setting, plus I felt that they were dangerous in the event of a crash (not had one since I've had the v1.1.1, 12 months now)

these are the 9" v2 props I bought, not genuine ones but I can't fault them so much so that I bought a second set as a spare set, were the ones you bought genuine ones or copy's?
, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291269014415?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

some of them did need a very little balancing but hardly nothing,maybe a small piece of electricians tape 3mmx8mm stuck on the underside in the correct position to balance them,
so for the last 3 months my v1.1.1 flies just the same as when I had the 8" props on plus I get more than 2 minutes extra flying time

so if your happy that the 9" ones you bought are good quality the all I can suggest is to balance them plus turn them 360 degrees and look at them sideways to see if they are level all the way round as you turn, in other words make sure that the thread is vertical in the hub.

hope this helps

Last edited:
They all LOOK balanced and level when compared side by side. I have not put them on a balancer but I just dont understand how an 8 inch prob can be so bend, chipped, and mangled and still fly fine but if a 9 inch prop is ever so slightly off balance, it is catastrophic! I will check the threads though. Thats a good suggestion. Didnt think of that! Thanks

I'm afraid you won't be able to see if they are balanced just by looking at them or comparing them against others a balancer will pick up just the slightest out of balance.

I suggest that you always balance props from new regardless on what the seller says, balanced props do run a bit smoother and quieter

and as for bent/chipped/mangled props be warned that they could give you an unpleasant surprise one day, I've been building MCs for many years now and in the past I used some props that had a small chips on them, flying one day the MC suddenly tipped and crashed, I couldn't work out what had happened until I run the glasses video back frame by frame and what I saw really frightened me, on one frame as the MC was falling to the ground there was a flash of red just flying past my eye, it was half a red prop blade.:eek:
so if you insist on straightening bent/chipped props, (not advised) then always make sure you are wearing tough glasses
best of luck with your 9" props, as I said my 9" props react exactly the same as my 8" ones do, no messing about in the DJI assistant either
ray

Okay I checked out my v2 props, no dings, scuffs, they look balanced, the threads look fine and I have ordered a balancer which ahould be here in a couple days. My next question. Some of my props come with the nuts locked onto them. Is there a way that I can balance them with my cheapo magnetic balancer? Maybe drill a small hole through the top of the nut?

no do NOT make a hole in the prop all you have to do is buy a balancing rod if you live in the UK this is the rod you want, left hand thread and right hand thread for the 2 different threads.
they cost about £5 (well worth the cost) and you can order one from Patrick, send him an email at
[email protected]

the rod just screws into the prop and then lay the rod onto your balancer or failing that some guys use a baked bean tin,or glass tumbler, check this out
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

BTW I don't sand of the underside of the props as some guys do also as shown in the above video (my thoughts are that your taking a little strength away from the blade, I prefer the old system of adding a very small piece of electricians (white if possible that way it doesn't show) tape on the underside of the light side of the prop moving it in different positions until it's perfectly balanced

Attachments

• 62BCEBC0-20D9-4705-B476-22BCA74F684E_zpsydtsdhsk.jpg
    62BCEBC0-20D9-4705-B476-22BCA74F684E_zpsydtsdhsk.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
1) What firmware are you running? 4.06 is decidedly more stable than 4.02
2) Are the props you bought original dji props? 9443s or 9450s? Knock-off props are really bad for the most part. CF props, unless they come from Graupner or T-motor, are pretty bad in general.

On my newer P1.1.1, I've never even run the stock props, flew it with 9450s from first flight, with no problems. I'm pretty **** about prop health, if I even have a tipover I will replace the one(s) that touched the ground. I do have a ridiculous amount of props stashed, though. :D

I am on 4.06. And they are knock off props. Hopefully i can get them balanced

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers