Can I still fly as a hobbyist with my Part 107

Reaction score
I have my Part 107 and all the responsibility of lawful flight that goes with it. I have never been quite clear, though, whether or not I can still leave that card at home and fly as a hobbyist like everyone else under the "recommendations" of the FAA.

Most of the FAAs wording is like this. This is from the email with my temporary 107.

"You are required to carry your certificate with you at all times when you are operating as a Remote Pilot"

They always refer to "when operating as". Now here they say Remote Pilot which makes me think it could be anyone, even a hobbyist, but most of the time they say something like "when operating under Part 107.

I really like flying autonomously using Litchi, beyond LOS. Can I still do this legally? As long as I'm not using it on a flight in which I am charging for?

Here are the FAA's Hobbyist Guidelines:
(You should decide for yourself)

Safety Guidelines

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight (emphasis added)
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

I have my Part 107 and all the responsibility of lawful flight that goes with it. I have never been quite clear, though, whether or not I can still leave that card at home and fly as a hobbyist like everyone else under the "recommendations" of the FAA.

Most of the FAAs wording is like this. This is from the email with my temporary 107.

"You are required to carry your certificate with you at all times when you are operating as a Remote Pilot"

They always refer to "when operating as". Now here they say Remote Pilot which makes me think it could be anyone, even a hobbyist, but most of the time they say something like "when operating under Part 107.

I really like flying autonomously using Litchi, beyond LOS. Can I still do this legally? As long as I'm not using it on a flight in which I am charging for?
Commercial pilots aren't flying commercially every time they take off. The situation determines that. Same with us. You decide whether your flight will be under Part 101 or 107 and fly by the appropriate guidelines.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20