California trying to pass minimum 350 foot drone law...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I don't know if this is right or not to post here, but California is trying to pass a law which pretty much prohibits ANY hobby drone from flying in airspace outside of 350' (State proposal) and 400' (FAA) in or around private areas. I understand if the post is deleted but I thought this important enough to make those in California aware that our hobby is in danger of becoming obsolete. There is something we can do, though, and there is a link to write our governor. This is from the AMA, Academy of Model Aeronautics...a group which has been since 1936.

Dear Friends,

On August 27, 2015 the California State Senate followed the State Assembly's lead in passing California SB 142. AMA spoke out in opposition to this bill in a letter to the Senate and the bill's sponsors, and testified further before the Joint Legislative Committee on Emergency Management and the Senate Judiciary Committee on August 18. Despite these efforts the California legislature passed SB 142, legislation that may pose a significant threat to recreational model aviation.

While originally intended to address privacy concerns the bill was amended in late June and, as such, now potentially subjects model aviation enthusiasts to possible law suits and civil sanctions for even an inadvertent excursion over the property of a neighbor that borders their flying field, schoolyard, park, or even their backyard.

This bill currently is sitting on Governor Brown's desk waiting for his action. Time is short. The governor has untilSeptember 12, 2015 to either sign or veto this proposed legislation.

Please act now. Go to http://amagov.modelaircraft.org/18534/californiasb142/ and let Governor Brown know that, as a recreational aeromodeler, you believe that this bill is too broad and overreaching and can only have a negative impact on model aviation.

Read SB 142. Bill Text - SB-142 Civil law: unmanned aerial vehicles.

Thanks for your help on this important issue.

Lawrence Tougas
AMA District X Vice President
[email protected]

With a link to the governor and a pre-formatted email? Not that I found. I'm providing a means to take action, not just whine about it on a message board.
No, I didn't go read them all. But good luck with the endeavor. I hope you get so many flyers helping the cause that it's never codified into law.

However, it "is" CA. Don't you all need .gov nanny running every aspect of your lives? :D

Reactions: III% Streve
No, I didn't go read them all. But good luck with the endeavor. I hope you get so many flyers helping the cause that it's never codified into law.

However, it "is" CA. Don't you all need .gov nanny running every aspect of your lives? :D

God, that's the way the populace thinks and it's deplorable. I'm from the south. You have a problem, you talk to the person you have a problem with and work **** out. You do not run to the government screaming, "I'm scared. Please make a law. Here's money!"

Reactions: snerd
If you think about it, drones have a terrible invasion of privacy problem. They are Paparazzi new weapon of choice. It's only a matter of time now. This is pretty much the case in France currently

If you think about it, drones have a terrible invasion of privacy problem. They are Paparazzi new weapon of choice. It's only a matter of time now. This is pretty much the case in France currently

How do they get around the law against drones having zoom cameras? And how can they get pictures within 100' of them without hearing the sound of the blades?

Perhaps training needs to be made in awareness of loud noises.

Read them all or don't comment. Don't send him on a wild goose chase. That is all

actually if you read the bill, their definition also applies to ANY model aircraft, it states that it applies to anything in which the pilot(person in control) is not physically in the aircraft or is not able to physically alter the flight from within the aircraft.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik