Calibration by turning in a circle

Reaction score
Just wondering, does anyone else feel like the body of the Phantom 3 Professional is a little awkward when turning it for calibration? I always feel like I am going to break off one of the landing legs or drop the whole thing. Can anyone come up with a reason why you couldn't just hold the Phantom steady in place and turn your body, rather than turning the drone itself? I have been doing this and it has worked fine. Just wondering what you guys think. :)

(Granted, I probably look as if I am doing a prayer dance pre-flight.)

Just wondering, does anyone else feel like the body of the Phantom 3 Professional is a little awkward when turning it for calibration? I always feel like I am going to break off one of the landing legs or drop the whole thing. Can anyone come up with a reason why you couldn't just hold the Phantom steady in place and turn your body, rather than turning the drone itself? I have been doing this and it has worked fine. Just wondering what you guys think. :)

You can:)

This is what I do, and haven't had any problems. I'm afraid also of dropping it if I turn it in my hands.

Here's a video with a P2 version, but the information is still relevant to P3.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Don't make a compass calibration into a chore, do a dance!

Reactions: Otis
Previously I rotated the bird in (Vision and Vision Plus) my hands. After seeing a video holding the Phantom in one place and rotating your body around it I started doing it that way the last few times. It seems that it gives a smoother calibration than awkwardly switching hands while rotating the P3 which did not give a smooth rotation.

@Fplvert

I do the whole body spin, but I keep the Phantom centered above one spot on the ground just to be safe. Apparently it's not that picky.

I always hold the P3 by two legs at arm's length and then turn my whole body around each time. It's very simple. I never just turn the P3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
There's even a DJI tutorial where the guy spins the dance. I agree, it's much smoother, and safer from trying to rotate it around its center.

@Fplvert

I do the whole body spin, but I keep the Phantom centered above one spot on the ground just to be safe. Apparently it's not that picky.
The purpose of the compass calibration is to let the bird know what magnetic declaration adjustments are needed for the area you're flying.

Mic's video shows him holding the bird away from his body and away from the ground. This is important for a good compass calibration.

We've had a few P3s already either get bad cals or take off from magnetic interfering surfaces that have gone down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic