BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

I only thing I can see this helping with is an accident where the drone actually goes down and the owner can't retrieve it before the authorities show up. If they can get their hands on the actual drone, they'll be able to find the owner.
If it's registered.
Which brings up the point that the yahoos flying around in airports and the like aren't going to register theirs and aren't going to put numbers on them. So those incidents aren't going to be stopped. It's not like you'll be able to see the registration number on a Phantom anyway.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So you're saying the bad people don't register and the good ones do. Ipso facto, one could deduce registration makes people more responsible.
No, only the responsible people will register. It's the unregistered ones that are causing most of the problems. It's like a domestic restraining order. The only ones who will abide by them are the ones you didn't need one from in the first place. If the person is really a threat, the restraining order will only make them madder, and it certainly won't stop them from coming after you! When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will fly them, and they still won't be able to find the pilots, as they will just build their own, as 90% of the RC guys have been doing over the last 50 years! This is a gross over reaction to justified concern over flying over airports, stadiums, and fires, but will do nothing to stop any of those actions.

Reactions: envisionabove
A news reporter asked about guns on drones and he said you cannot drop anything from us airspace

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Clearly, registering drones won't do anything to stop people from mounting guns onto their drones, with the help of their college professors! Who knew it was illegal to fire a gun from an aircraft? Wow!

The one guy towards the end asking how it will help with drone sightings was asking a very good question. The person answering it was stupid. He admitted that they will need access to the drone to be able to find out who it belongs to. Which means that this will not have any impact on drone sightings.

I live in Australia and brake the laws in place for drones on a weekly basis. I fly at my local park which is 2-3 KM away from the airport. (within 5.5KM) I have the height limit set at about 40-50m and click OK on the restricted area warning the DJI app gives me. For my drone to hit an aeroplane it would have to malfunction in a very specific way. Looking at the map of airports and heli pads in Sydney is a joke. It covers roughly 90% of any area within a 1 hour drive from me. There is basically nowhere I can fly, so I just fly where is close to me and specific desirable areas that have pretty things to film and risk the fines.

I am worried that regulations like this will be introduced here in Australia. I have lots of drones and aeroplanes, a lot of which are not able to be registered because they are DIY projects. My concern is that eventually drones will have to pass safety standards and if they don't pass/cant be registered it will be illegal to fly them. I am pretty sure 250 size quad racing will die as well.

Since I got into this hobby many years ago I have seen something like this happening. It is an unfortunate and unavoidable end to a way of flying that suits most hobby flyers like myself. It is a shame because I don't think the risks are that high here in Australia. I have only ever seen 5 or 6 other people with drones in my lifetime.

I hope Australia does not introduce these laws. If they did, I Would, Like people mentioned above, legitimately consider giving up the hobby. But Australia is also thinking of introducing registration on bicycles - my other favourite activity. It would seem like I am living in the wrong country.

Reactions: JKDSensei
@GadgetGuy Guidelines, rules, etc...People here make so much out of nothing. Like you said, use common sense & just fly safely and you shouldn't run into issues!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
@GadgetGuy Guidelines, rules, etc...People here make so much out of nothing. Like you said, use common sense & just fly safely and you shouldn't run into issues!
Exactly. The DOT spokeshole candidly admitted while they can see your drone, they still have no way of finding the pilot! Stay out of sight, don't do anything stupid, like fly over an airport, a stadium, or a fire, and enjoy flying your drone!:cool:

No, only the responsible people will register. It's the unregistered ones that are causing most of the problems.

If the unregistered ones cause the problems, then we should try to get everyone to register. Then they would be less likely to cause problems, right?

If the unregistered ones cause the problems, then we should try to get everyone to register. Then they would be less likely to cause problems, right?
Don't go bringing common sense into this thread! Theres no drama in that! :D

People here making so much out of nothing? You got it backwards.
Seems to be the Feds and the media blowing it out of proportion.
Where are all the dead bodies?

skyisfalling_zpsk9egehkq.jpg

We just need to weed out the few bad ones and all is well.

If the Amish were the one's requiring the car registration, maybe it would make more sense to you...

I bet the line for Amish car registration is pretty short! Do you think the Amish will register their drones? Or will they put up the good fight?

Don't go bringing common sense into this thread! Theres no drama in that! :D

I agree. Common sense is so overrated. Much more fun without it!

I think everybody is going to just ignore this registration unless the fine is so expensive its cheaper to get the license than take a chance of getting caught without it.

Where I live we have several morons on city council who are ready to ban all drones and anything that can take photos from flying in their city anywhere, including your own back yard. They are now just waiting for the FAA to put out their official rules and then you watch city after city start banning all drones (except LEO).
It will be a Federal Offense.. I will register mine
It sounds like they are pretty serious about this....I am too dam old to go to jail again and cant afford to have them confiscate my P3..seems easier to comply ,, they will probably make it so you can do it online

Clearly, registering drones won't do anything to stop people from mounting guns onto their drones, with the help of their college professors! Who knew it was illegal to fire a gun from an aircraft? Wow!
If done safely, it isn't illegal.

Steve I thought the FAA had a rule about mounting a weapon to an aircraft? Since sUAS are seen as aircraft isn't that where the issue came from?
There is no FAA rule regarding weaponizing an aircraft. But a bullet fired is technically a dropped item, which does have a rule:
§ 91.15 Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
In that particular video that everyone is getting hysterical about, you can't see what the drone is shooting at, you don't know where the drone is located. If he is at a gun range or other area where it's legal to shoot, and if it's done safely, there is no FAA rule broken.

Steve I thought the FAA had a rule about mounting a weapon to an aircraft? Since sUAS are seen as aircraft isn't that where the issue came from?
There doesn't seem to be a rule about putting a weapon on a drone (the government does it :D) but at the news brief today the question was asked about that drone with the gun and they avoided any real conversation and quickly said there was a rule in place that did not allow aircraft to drop anything in US airspace. I wonder how sky divers get around this rule. :D

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I thought they dropped the sewage from jets on long trips . That's dropping an item !
Bet that **** would hurt if it hit ya :)

Reactions: Mike Drone7
There doesn't seem to be a rule about putting a weapon on a drone (the government does it :D) but at the news brief today the question was asked about that drone with the gun and they avoided any real conversation and quickly said there was a rule in place that did not allow aircraft to drop anything in US airspace. I wonder how sky divers get around this rule. :D
Hmmm, guess those Air Tankers dropping water or fire retardants can't fight fires anymore either.

Edited to remove rogue quote.

There is no FAA rule regarding weaponizing an aircraft. But a bullet fired is technically a dropped item, which does have a rule:
§ 91.15 Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
In that particular video that everyone is getting hysterical about, you can't see what the drone is shooting at, you don't know where the drone is located. If he is at a gun range or other area where it's legal to shoot, and if it's done safely, there is no FAA rule broken.
It looked like they were in the woods so I would venture that there was a proper backstop. Thanks for clearing up the misconception. Must have had a bad reference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing