Bought Solo, Sold V+ and bought P3

Reaction score
Have been flying a V+ for a couple years. Bet I have 500 miles on the thing and been a great UAV. Have been 10,000 feet out with the controller and 2 1/2 miles on MANY missions.

Ordered a Solo which I have now and bought a Hero 4 black with custom Peau lens and of course still waiting on the stupid gimbal which is further delayed.

So sold the V+ and bought a P3P. Only one battery until Tuesday and have only made one flight. About a mile out and back. Video below.

Have to say the P3 is hard not to like ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

do not think you're going to be happy with that solo. Have you been reading the forums? Lots of problems. But you'll love your p3p!

Now that's funny.

do not think you're going to be happy with that solo. Have you been reading the forums? Lots of problems. But you'll love your p3p!

The problems are not as wide spread as people make it sound. Like any brand you have 50% of the new owners doing something stupid.

The Solo has the hardware to out perform the Phantom in every possible way. The question in my mind, is 3Drobotics capable of developing the front end and user interface in a timely manner. Right now everything about the P3 interface is better in my eyes except for Solos advanced shots like cable cam and orbit. 3DR needs to move quickly and get this functionality in the users hands before the DJI P4 does everything and more.

The Solo is dead in the water without the gimbal. So if you want to fly and shot video now then Solo is not even a choice.

Solo is dead in the water as it is now.. The failures with very few even in the wild are very concerning. With less than a few thousand in the air we shouldn't be seeing these type of issues. If you look at all reported videos, it starts as a dirft and then accelerates faster until it crashes.

The Solo has the hardware to out perform the Phantom in every possible way. The question in my mind, is 3Drobotics capable of developing the front end and user interface in a timely manner. Right now everything about the P3 interface is better in my eyes except for Solos advanced shots like cable cam and orbit. 3DR needs to move quickly and get this functionality in the users hands before the DJI P4 does everything and more.

In what ways? As developers are working with the P3's SDK we already know that the P3 will have many of the same flight abilities as the Solo. At far less cost an with much greater distance capability.

The Pixhawk 2 is more flight computer than what the DJI sports.

You are correct about the rest. Less cost and more distance. FYI my personal solo went 4200' at 400' elevation out of a hole and my P3P went 5500' right after. So difference is not that much from where I am flying. Once I get my DBS panels on both they should rock.

Right now I am liking my P3. All I am saying is IF 3DR can bring the functions to market they are going to have one heck of a machine.

As far as shooting specialized video the Solo is going to win. The pans and smart shots are amazing. DJI is going to have to play catch up there.

Until they come up with gimbal my Solo is going to be parked most of the time.

I love the P3. Just saying the Solo has BIG potential. Not saying it will get there.

rrmccabe, owning both also I know how you feel. I personally want to love my solo but the P3 makes it so hard. Unlike you though my solo is buggy. Takes forever sometimes to get Gps, app keeps crashing and once I get it up in the air I can't even come close to the distance my P3 does. I'm talking not even close. The other day my P3 went over 1200 meters, took up the solo right after and barely got 487 meters with continually getting a return to home.

The P3 is just power up and go with no issues...like I said hard not to love.

We are in similar boats except I have not had any issues. My Solo has been flawless and no issues. It's just lacking in functionality without the gimbal and the software is bland at this point.

As you said the P3 is power up and go. Something DJI does well.

As far as range I have noticed the Solo seems to have a lot of forward pitch to move forward. Might just be the lack of gimbal that makes it look so bad. But the pitch is hurting range. If I slow down towards the end so the aircraft is closer to level I can get a lot more range out of it.

It will never run with the P3 as far as range though. But was pretty happy to push the Solo to 4200 !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.