Black Pearl screen blank...

Reaction score
I'm totally baffled!! Packed my Phantom 2 on Friday of last week to head up to Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando. I actually got no flight time due to all the partying. Literally just unpacked my Phantom 2 to go up and fly around the neighborhood and when I powered up the monitor I got the Black Pearl logo and then got no picture from the Gopro. I checked all connections and everything looks good. I also went thru all the channels on the monitor to see maybe if I accidentally changed a channel and nothing. Does anyone know where I should start to troubleshoot this issue?

Hjones62 said:
I'm totally baffled!! Packed my Phantom 2 on Friday of last week to head up to Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando. I actually got no flight time due to all the partying. Literally just unpacked my Phantom 2 to go up and fly around the neighborhood and when I powered up the monitor I got the Black Pearl logo and then got no picture from the Gopro. I checked all connections and everything looks good. I also went thru all the channels on the monitor to see maybe if I accidentally changed a channel and nothing. Does anyone know where I should start to troubleshoot this issue?

I assume you know there is a little bit more to getting video from the Gopro to the BP rather than just switching both on?
You need a video transmitter on the Phantom that will transmit video from the Gopro to the BP.
That's it in very simple terms,the Gopro has no video transmitting ability as it stands.

Bit more information please. This arrangement work before?

Did the GoPro record anything? What video transmitter and was it powered up? Correct antennas and tight?

Two antennas on Black Pearl? Set to diversity mode?

@Smallman28 Lol, my bad Brother and thanks for the quick response. Of course I have a transmitter, i'm currently using a Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter. I've flew over 20 times at least with no video feed issues nor recording issues. Here it is all I did was pack the Phantom 2 in the travel case a few days ago and took it out today to fly and with all powered on getting no feed to the monitor...
25teu6u.jpg

Re-checked all the connections and still not getting picture for some reason. Here's what it looks like with everything powered up!
2zqekpf.jpg

Do you have an iOSD of any kind? If you do, then the issue is between that and the Tx. Open her up and check all the connections.

However, judging by the fact you aren't getting static, it is picking up a signal, but the GoPro isn't sending one out. Try switching the H3-3D USB ribbon cable that plugs into the GoPro for the spare. It may have become damaged in transit.

@harryb, Brother you nailed it right on the head! Went to inspect the ribbon cable and sure enough there was a nice slit! Good thing there was an replacement in the box!
16jhms7.jpg

Hjones62 said:
I can't seem to figure out why the screen keeps running...

That's scrolling - not running. Try moving the receiver a few feet from the transmitter.

And make sure gopro and monitor are both set to NTSC.

As the other posters have said, check both the Black Pearl and GoPro are set to either PAL or NTSC (NTSC seems preferable), and double check the channels on the Black Pearl haven't changed (when both camera and receiver are on NTSC, flick through the channels until you get a stable image.

Make sure you stand the the Black Pearl a few feet away from the transmitter though :) Worth just double checking all the antennas are nice and tight too.

@damon @harryb, Guys seriously, I can't thank you guys enough!! I had my Gopro3 set on NTSC and my Monitor on PAL. As soon as I placed the monitor on NTSC the video feed became stable. I really appreciate all the effort from you Guys getting me back on track!! Thanks again

Had the same problem one time....rolling video image on the BP. Somehow, the BP had gotten switched to PAL, instead of NTSC. Once I found that and switched it back to NTSC like the GoPro...all was good again! ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94