Birmingham Alabama area? Anyone...

Where is the color tunnel? I've never heard of it. I'd like to fly Oak Mountain but I'm not sure if that's allowed. WTH. Fly and apologize later if needed. I've spent a lifetime breaking the rules. ;)

I'm down for Oak Mountain, but my car doesn't do well off road. Have to take my sister's Wrangler. However I think there is some cool footage to be had at Peavine Falls. Hike to the bottom of the waterfall and fly up.

The color tunnel is downtown. I forget the roads exactly.

a6ebb87c60eea09f6930506a8b11c651.jpg

204cc301ad14ff54e8634c69b2819ece.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm down for Oak Mountain, but my car doesn't do well off road. Have to take my sister's Wrangler. However I think there is some cool footage to be had at Peavine Falls. Hike to the bottom of the waterfall and fly up.

The color tunnel is downtown. I forget the roads exactly.

a6ebb87c60eea09f6930506a8b11c651.jpg

204cc301ad14ff54e8634c69b2819ece.jpg

The hike to the bottom of Peavine Falls is not bad. Flying will be very tight. I'd like to fly over the lake from the road just under the spillway. I was up there about a month ago visiting my son for Christmas. but hit the park too late to fly. I wouldn't mind flying from the Vulcan. You ever try that?

Nope. It will actually be my first time back home with the quad next week.

I could make it up on Saturday if the weather is nice. I know my son would like to get out and check out the Phantom again. I might put it in beginner mode and let him take it for a spin in an open area. Let me know if your schedule is open for a while Saturday. Someone here mentioned the Lake Purdy area as being a good spot to fly. It's SE of B'ham off 280. I've never been there.

Just realized I won't be coming in town until Sunday. I have an interview next week and if all goes well I'll be moving back to Alabama shortly, though.

I know Lake Purdy, used to go fishing there as a kid.

Just realized I won't be coming in town until Sunday. I have an interview next week and if all goes well I'll be moving back to Alabama shortly, though.

I know Lake Purdy, used to go fishing there as a kid.

No problem. Stay in touch and maybe we can get some pilots together in that area at some point. Good luck with your interview. I'm interviewed out and am giving the job search a break for a while. I'd rather go back to being self employed which I was for 20+ years. That way I can't complain about the boss. ;)

So, moving back to Birmingham in a few weeks!

Late to the thread but have a P3A with about 25 flights under my belt. Live in the Birmingham area, still trying to get brave enough to take it over a 165 ft in altitude...lol lol. Let me know if I can make it out one day when you fly.

I'll be in B'ham (Trussville) on Saturday 8/27 for my granddaughters 2nd birthday and plan on bringing my P3A. I'd like to fly some around the Vulcan with the view of B'ham and at Oak Mtn. State Park if it's allowed. Any idea if those areas are off limits?

Looking at the the FAA B4U Fly App it looks like it is close to the 5 mile radius of the airport. The other problem you have are all the helipads around downtown Birmingham and the medical helicopters that fly to the hospitals around downtown. I have seen footage before of Vulcan that people have taken from drones, not sure if I want to try it there yet before I can check it out more to see if there any restrictions.

I just checked on Google Earth and it's 6 miles from the Vulcan park to the airport. I hadn't thought about hospital helicopter traffic but UAB is a lot closer to the Vulcan. Just over a mile as the crow flies. Not good. I guess I could call the park service. I plan on applying for the Section 333 to be able to use my P3A for commercial purposes (real estate) but I understand the process is really slow.

Thats is true....the helicopter traffic in town might throw a wrench in to it. You also have Lady Liberty at Liberty Park off 459, the Helipad there in Liberty Park is hardly used. Would make for some great pics and video with her torch burning natural gas.
Lady Liberty.jpg

I downloaded the B4U Fly app to my Samsung S5 and my LG *.3 tablet. The phone app is almost useless but the tablet works fine. I usually fly with DJI GO on the tablet anyway. It looks like pretty much all of Birmingham would be off limits if you factor in the helipads. Same with Montgomery. I checked out of my normal flying areas and realized everywhere I've been flying is basically off limits. :eek::)

I have found most helipads you can not call anyone and let them know you are flying but you are good to fly outside the airport flight radius in many areas outside of Birmingham. Still downtown if its not the airport, medical flight traffic (helicopters) might have you grounded in the city itself. I have flown around Liberty Park a few times scanning the skies when I fly.

I figure go for it and apologize later. Not major airports of course but helipads are everywhere in metro areas and generally don't see much traffic. Someone here once mentioned Lake Purdy up that way as a good area to fly. I do a lot of flying over water from the Alabama and Coosa rivers to Destin and Ft.Walton. That's in spite of the fact that I lost my P2V in a lake. Call me stupid but I enjoy the scenery. o_O

Not sure if I can trust my P3A yet over water yet with me flying. I have seen some beautiful footage and pics over the water. Might have to stick to the shallows before I get up the courage to cross a lake or bay or river. About 27 flights so far on my bird....might wait till about 50 flights before go near water....lol lol

Even going down in shallow water could be a disaster. Especially salt water. Electronics and water are not a good combination. I learned that from 20+ years in camera repair. I regretted every water job I tried. They almost always came back for a warranty repair. Usually for a battery drain problem. I finally stopped taking them in. It wasn't worth it. Here's a link to a video I shot in Ft. Walton Beach. Nothing fancy. I'm still trying to learn some video editing software. Go to settings on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and set 1080 HD is it doesn't default to that. Little cog wheel icon. You can also go to full screen there.

Last edited:
Dragging up an old thread but i'm new to the site and to Phantoms/Drones. I'm about an hour east of Bham in I-20 and enjoy flying around Jacksonville State University and Mt. Cheaha. Feel free to hit me up if you are in my area and want to fly.

Attachments

• DJI_0043.JPG
    DJI_0043.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 436
Just got a Phantom 3 Pro and was wondering if there is anyone in the Birmingham area to meet up with and fly?

I'm up your way about once a month. My stepson lives in Trussville. I usually bring my P3A but haven't flown much in that area, I'd like to fly near the Vulcan but most of the area is no fly zones because of helipads. I've also thought about Cheaha and Oak Mountain.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj