Bird impacts military training flight.

After several FOI requests, the USAF finally released gun camera photos just prior to impact.

1547227555009.png

That did more damage than I would have thought.

Bet that stunk pretty bad in just a few hours.....

I've been to several airshows featuring the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. They put on a show close to my location every year, and I'm amazed that they don't encounter more bird strikes than they do -- screaming down the ocean shoreline with lots of Sea Gulls in the area.

Reactions: BigAl07

No, the 1st post video link wasn't working, but I was at a coffee shop at the time so I think it was limited access to YT that caused the problem. I'm back home now and was able to view the video. We've talked about the kind of damage a bird can do at 500mph so this incident at something less that 400mph is no real surprise.

Brian

Reactions: BigAl07
A bird struck my motorcycle helmet yesterday. Darn things, oughta' be outlawed! :p

That did more damage than I would have thought.

Bet that stunk pretty bad in just a few hours.....
I was in the cockpit of a British RAF C130 (Hercules) transport plane in 1985. We were in Ethiopia during the famine. A bird blasted a large hole in the nose of the C130 at least 18 inches across, if not bigger. From memory, it was a bird of prey. If the impact had been a bit to one side, it would have caused a mid-air explosion - I think because of hitting a gas cylinder - and I wouldn't be posting this today.

We made it back to Addis Ababa and the RAF engineers had everything patched up with sheet metal by first thing the following morning so the food aid transportation could continue.

I've often thought about posting this story, especially when some claim that drones would have little to no impact on an aircraft. Recently, in the UK, at the time of the Gatwick shutdown, slow motion footage from a testing centre was shown on TV several times and the impact can potentially be severe - at least on some aircraft. A bird's body is relatively soft and can easily collapse , whereas the structural design of a drone is significantly rigid or stronger.

Reactions: BigAl07 and sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj