Bill being drafted to destroy drones (especially photo drones),

Reaction score
Good luck catching my racers.

It's sounding like the US party is coming to an end:

How to live in fear:

Government Drone Hacking-Destruction Proposal

Proposed Rules Would Allow U.S. to Track and Destroy Drones

The Trump administration is asking Congress to give the federal government sweeping powers to track, hack and destroy any type of drone over domestic soil with a new exception to laws governing surveillance, computer privacy and aircraft protection, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

The document is a 10-page draft and summary of legislation the executive branch circulated among several congressional committees on Tuesday, according to a congressional aide. The administration also scheduled a classified briefing on Wednesday for congressional staff members to discuss the topic, the aide said

Your a smart guy J-guy but your fear mongering seems out of character.

Don't know what 'party' you're referring to but anybody flying within ANY published current or future guidelines has nothing to worry about.

While I'm of the belief the chances of personal harm from a hostile drone is infinitesimal I'm glad precautions are being taken.
Whatever level of risk is posed to me by a hostile drone, the chances of me ever being effected by this law as a hobbyist is less yet.

Don't fly your drone in security restricted areas. I would hope they'd take action if someone is stupid enough to do that.
I guess you didn't read the part where it says it doesn't need probable cause. Don't be fooled by the preamble. It's made to look like they will do it anyway with some diligence but it makes it so without reason or warrant, they can confiscate and remove "forcefully", your UASs. Do you really trust that? If so, send me what you're drinking.

It's nothing less than a blanket "we can take your drone if we want".

Maybe you should stop drinking whatever you are.

Maybe you should stop drinking whatever you are.
Im just taking my daughter to school. Read the draft before you make any more "fear mongering" accusations and also realize that the FAA cannot be overridden by the state should this be drafted and also the lobby is in China.

Well then and us.

I guess you didn't read the part where it says it doesn't need probable cause. Don't be fooled by the preamble. It's made to look like they will do it anyway with some diligence but it makes it so without reason or warrant, they can confiscate and remove "forcefully", your UASs. Do you really trust that? If so, send me what you're drinking.

It's nothing less than a blanket "we can take your drone if we want".

Again, I would recommend you not fly in restricted areas if you don't want your drone taken away. If you think they're going haul their gear out to the local park and shoot hobbyist drones out of the sky, I'd like to know what you're drinking.

The WSJ says this:

'The draft bill’s language would authorize the government to summarily track, seize control of and use force to destroy any unmanned aircraft it determines may pose a security threat to an area designated for special protection.'

I'm not concerned nor do I wish to debate anymore. I'll admit you won't change my mind and assume the reciprocal is true.

The WSJ says this:

'The draft bill’s language would authorize the government to summarily track, seize control of and use force to destroy any unmanned aircraft it determines may pose a security threat to an area designated for special protection.'

I'm not concerned nor do I wish to debate anymore. I'll admit you won't change my mind and assume the reciprocal is true.
Not about changing minds, it's about the beginning of the end.

I'm not saying this bill would be the complete end but being able to destroy property and confiscate it by force with zero description of what that area is in exact terms like "10 miles from a military base" is cart blanch to do "whatever we want, where we want".

Ask a lawyer what non specific terms mean.

Reactions: ndroll and Will T
Should have known better to post this here.

You should have actually read it first rather than looking only at sensationalized titles. This is nothing but a procedural change to officially allow something that should have been allowed all along. No one is going to take an AA gun to your Mavic for the fun of it.

A White House proposal would let police shoot down drones

DJI to Restrict Unregistered Drones

Apparently this is a reaction to the shooting down of the FAA registration which apparently the FAA doesn't have the right to do because they are not considered aircraft but the LA Times says otherwise in this op-ed:

Drones aren’t toys — and shouldn’t be treated like them
"Drones aren't toys"
Most intelligent and spot on article I have read so far. The laws need to go further though, much further. Required pilot training by certified instructors, written and flight testing with bi-annual flight reviews, log books, insurance, meaningful registration, total revamping of trespassing laws, bullet proof geofencing, and bullet proof ID pinging to apprehend & convict violators. No big deal. Except for the geofencing, real pilots have lived with all of that for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Drones aren't toys"
Most intelligent and spot on article I have read so far. The laws need to further though, much further. Required pilot training by certified instructors, written and flight testing with bi-annual flight reviews, log books, insurance, meaningful registration, total revamping of trespassing laws, bullet proof geofencing, and bullet proof ID pinging to apprehend & convict violators. No big deal. Except for the geofencing, real pilots have lived with all of that for decades.

Hope you're not being sarcastic, because it'd be nice to see someone else taking this approach instead of the "MUH RATZ!!! MUH FREEDUMBZZ!! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME COMPLY!!!"

Hope you're not being sarcastic, because it'd be nice to see someone else taking this approach instead of the "MUH RATZ!!! MUH FREEDUMBZZ!! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME COMPLY!!!"
Was not being sarcastic in the slightest. I cannot understand why the FAA allowed anyone to enter the NAS without all of the requirements that have been in place for years. No big deal. Learn all of the rules, be tested, follow the rules, or suffer the consequences. Anything short of that, is a terrible injustice to those who came before, and have met the grade, to be allowed the privilege of entering the NAS.
Not to mention how dangerous it is to allow anyone up there without a complete understanding of the Airspace, & Regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not being sarcastic in the slightest. I cannot understand why the FAA allowed anyone to enter the NAS without all of the requirements that have been in place for years. No big deal. Learn all of the rules, be tested, follow the rules, or suffer the consequences. Anything short of that, is a terrible injustice to those who came before, and have met the grade, to be allowed the privilege of entering the NAS.
Not to mention how dangerous it is to allow anyone up there without a complete understanding of the Airspace, & Regulations.

100%

It's amazing how many people are arguing the opposite - we should have no rules, no regulations, MUH FREEDUMBZ!!! EVIL GOOBERMINTS!!!

It's ridiculous and short sighted. If the commercial industry, never mind the hobby side, is to survive long-term, we need strict regulation and we need it NOW. We are one major incident away from a public outcry to flat-out ban drones, and Washington won't think twice before doing it. It's even more amazing how many people think this incident will never happen, even when being stared in the face by a laundry list of incidents caused by drone operator stupidity and/or recklessness.

100%

It's amazing how many people are arguing the opposite - we should have no rules, no regulations, MUH FREEDUMBZ!!! EVIL GOOBERMINTS!!!

It's ridiculous and short sighted. If the commercial industry, never mind the hobby side, is to survive long-term, we need strict regulation and we need it NOW. We are one major incident away from a public outcry to flat-out ban drones, and Washington won't think twice before doing it. It's even more amazing how many people think this incident will never happen, even when being stared in the face by a laundry list of incidents caused by drone operator stupidity and/or recklessness.
I am not disagreeing that we need regulation.

We had/have regulation. When the FAA registration was struck down 4 days ago, I was highly concerned.

It is easy to build a drone. More people that fly photo birds that are easy to set up and fly 1000 feet in the air are a minority compared to people that can just build one themselves and nothing will stop that.

I am all for regulations if the regulations are well spelled out and exact so that the abuse of power can not be had by the federal government.

I just happened to see that Steel (actually all 3) got arrested: (go to 13:50)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
arrested for flying a drone with no charges given during the report. I would most definitely want to know what they are being charged with. Still it doesn't surprise me that the Steel guy might have haters that would use law enforcement to harass him. I'm sure there's a few limp types on here that would more than willing to rat out a fellow pilot.

Prudence dictates that we should be leery of power and those who wield it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen