Beware of Spinning Props!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the Phantom, but I’m continually surprised when I hear comments on forums or YouTube, of how "These Props Won't Hurt You, They're Only Plastic"... These Props are VERY dangerous and WILL slice you open! I had it happen when I went to pick up a crashed unit with motors still running, In a split second I had eight fairly deep cuts to my hand from one of those suckers and bled big time. Spread the word to Take care.

tsp1000 said:
I'm relatively new to the Phantom, but I’m continually surprised when I hear comments on forums or YouTube, of how "These Props Won't Hurt You, They're Only Plastic"... These Props are VERY dangerous and WILL slice you open! I had it happen when I went to pick up a crashed unit with motors still running, In a split second I had eight fairly deep cuts to my hand from one of those suckers and bled big time. Spread the word to Take care.

That's what I have kept telling people here, but falls on deaf ears. I have a walkera Hotenx Which is smaller and have been cut several times with this even and made me bleed.

If anyone has seen a plastic knife? You can still cut with these and a blade travelling 100's of times faster then you can cut, the are like razor blades. Think on Facebook, om the DJI phantom owners page their is a photo of a guys head cut to bits from A Phantom.

It is assumed that the Phantom being small and plastic blades will only hurt you, but truth is can make a mess of your hand of fingers no trouble.

People here don'rt know the dangers of any spinning blade and don't take any warnings seriously. These things need to be treated with great care. Hope your lesson, people here will take notice.

I'm not at all surprised that they can damage you quite badly.
When asked, I tend to describe the noise the Phantom makes as 'a bit like a hedge strimmer'. Now I for one would not want to put my hand, face or any other valued part of my (or anyone elses) body near a hedge strimmer blade! :shock:

I have a fresh cut on my arm along with a HUGE bruise coming in now. DANG rain made me come down for a quick landing.. It was a choice to cut my arm or get washed out. I chose the arm lol..

denodan said:
That's what I have kept telling people here, but falls on deaf ears.

on Facebook, om the DJI phantom owners page their is a photo of a guys head cut to bits from A Phantom.

I think the reason it falls on deaf ears is because there is so much misinformation out there. For example, from what I understand, the cut head was NOT from a Phantom. In fact, I checked that post just now and no where does it mention it was a Phantom. It was actually just shared from a different drone page. Yet, people will share the information saying a Phantom did it.

anything is potentially dangerous. add the fact that propellers are spinning fast enough so that their tips are moving close to the speed of sound.... you get the idea.

Darrell1 said:
denodan said:
That's what I have kept telling people here, but falls on deaf ears.

on Facebook, om the DJI phantom owners page their is a photo of a guys head cut to bits from A Phantom.

I think the reason it falls on deaf ears is because there is so much misinformation out there. For example, from what I understand, the cut head was NOT from a Phantom. In fact, I checked that post just now and no where does it mention it was a Phantom. It was actually just shared from a different drone page. Yet, people will share the information saying a Phantom did it.

Was it not from a quad about the same size as a Phantom? Plastic spinning that fast is like a razor blade, those edges will be very sharp at those speeds.

denodan said:
Was it not from a quad about the same size as a Phantom? Plastic spinning that fast is like a razor blade, those edges will be very sharp at those speeds.
It did not specify. It also did not specify if it were wooden, plastic or CF props.

auck said:
anything is potentially dangerous.
I respectfully disagree. If they were made of marshmallow, I think they would be perfectly safe. Same for bunny ears...

From personal experience of running a carbon blade in to my arm just week, it does cut you. Leaves one HELLOFA bruise but more than likely would NOT kill or maim anyone unless it was the perfect situation. It hit my arm. The carbon blades shattered and flew all over the place. My arms was bleeding. But that was it. YES could have been worse. Those blades could have hit my neck for instance; when the shattered. Lucky for me its just a cut and bruise. Now if those blades were better than some cheap china knockoffs it might have been worse. Who knows. Lucky for now.

THIS IS PRETTY COMMON SENSE STUFF HERE. I THINK A PAPER PROP WOULD EVEN GIVE YOU A NICE PAPER CUT.

mercillus said:
From personal experience of running a carbon blade in to my arm just week, it does cut you. Leaves one HELLOFA bruise but more than likely would NOT kill or maim anyone unless it was the perfect situation. It hit my arm. The carbon blades shattered and flew all over the place. My arms was bleeding. But that was it. YES could have been worse. Those blades could have hit my neck for instance; when the shattered. Lucky for me its just a cut and bruise. Now if those blades were better than some cheap china knockoffs it might have been worse. Who knows. Lucky for now.

I also got a pretty nasty slice in my arm, from the standard props. I had the Phantom hovering near me and grabbed a landing skid and it tilted in my hand. I ordered the prop guards but will be more careful.

I also got a pretty nasty slice in my arm, from the standard props. I had the Phantom hovering near me and grabbed a landing skid and it tilted in my hand. I ordered the prop guards but will be more careful.
Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 656
I have a few gouges that are healing up nicely. Even if it doesn't cut you it still hurts like hell when you get smacked a couple of times. Its no joke, it really friggen hurts!

SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH BOTH THE DRONE SUPPLIERS, AND THE IDIOTS WHO OPEATE THEM WITHOUT BLADE GUARDS

First of all, to suggest that these things aren't potentially DEADLY, only indicates what a self-centered selfish menace you are.

As for the people who sell these things - it is only a matter of time before some young attorney sees the gold mine here - following some tragedy - loss of use of some part of the body, blinding, etc. Then I would like to be that young attorney cross-examining a mfg's or sales rep. on whether they knew how obviously dangerous these things are.

The solution is so simple - BLADE GUARDS - first thing I did ( I am brand new to drones; just got my "new" Phantom 3 Stanard a week ago) was to buy and install blade guards.

I would be most interested in seeing what the excuses are for not making BLADE GUARDS MANDATORY.
Cause it's a silly idea.

Reactions: Duchunter
[QUOTE...."]Cause it's a silly idea.....[/QUOTE]

Can you provide us with more detail as to what you mean by "cause its a silly idea" ? Precisely what is it that you think is a "silly idea", and on what do you base your conclusion . ?

[QUOTE...."]Cause it's a silly idea.....

Can you provide us with more detail as to what you mean by "cause its a silly idea" ? Precisely what is it that you think is a "silly idea", and on what do you base your conclusion . ?[/QUOTE]
What about rc airplanes and helicopters. steak knives, hand saws, pens and pencils, scissors, etc. Do we put guards on all of them? People need to learn how to be careful. Put quad on ground...stand back....start up rotors and fly away. Land it...shut down rotors ...walk up to it and pick up. It' just that easy. Guards can't protect against doing stupid stuff.

Agreed with Monte55, just be careful handling the phantom and use common sense. I never have issues in my short 40 flights with my phantom 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl