Beta testers wanted for new P3 flight visualization app (Mac/Windows)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on adding Phantom 3 support to my vehicle flight data visualization application (Dashcam Viewer). The software allows you to playback video of your flight alongside a Google Map showing your current position. Graphs and Data views show you additional flight data as the movie is played. I don't have a P3 so I've been working with a P3 pilot to get initial support working. But I'd like to get additional feedback from other flyers too, especially in regards to bugs and feature requests. The software relies on the SRT file being in the same location as the movie file and having the same name as the movie file (except for the extension).

You can get the software here:

Mac (OS X 10.8+): https://earthshinesw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dashcam_viewer_v1-7-6.zip
Windows (Win7,Win8): https://earthshinesw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dashcamviewerwin_v1-7-6.zip

dcv_p3.jpg

A few caveats:
  1. That lat/lon data stored in the SRT file is somewhat low resolution. When moving slow you may see stair-stepping in the GPS track and speed graphs.
  2. 4K video may stutter during playback. I think my iMac is overwhelmed by the data rate! 1080p seems to work fine.
  3. You may see some playback stuttering on certain Windows computers. Still trying to diagnose this. The Mac version with 1080p does not stutter.
A couple of questions for you P3 folks:
  1. In the SRT file, does anyone know what the "Hs" parameter is?
  2. I heard there is a flight data file stored in the Pilot app that records the flight telemetry at a higher resolution. Would someone be able to send me one of these files along with a corresponding 1080p flight movie?
Special thanks to Evan P. for his help in developing this capability.

Reactions: HunterSK
Great... Check your messages/conversations.

I read that the Flight Data stored on the Pilot app device has much more and better detailed data than the SRT file. The file can be accessed and downloaded with iFunBox app. I am sure someone will be happy to send you the file with the corresponding video for testing. This would be great if we can do the data overlay without converting the file first. I downloaded the app and will test out... thanks for the work.

Btw, "Hs" Horizontalspeed is correct. And "Vs" would be Verticalspeed.

I read that the Flight Data stored on the Pilot app device has much more and better detailed data than the SRT file. The file can be accessed and downloaded with iFunBox app. I am sure someone will be happy to send you the file with the corresponding video for testing. This would be great if we can do the data overlay without converting the file first. I downloaded the app and will test out... thanks for the work.

Are you able to View the data accessed by iFunbox?

I downloaded iFunbox but have yet to use it.

I thought I saw Hs defined as Horizontal Speed. Does the data make sense for that?

I thought so too at first. But the Hs values in the sample SRT file I've been using are mostly zeroes. For example, here the P3 is obviously moving based on its changing lat/lon but the Hs value is 0.0.

00:05:26,000 --> 00:05:27,000
HOME(-123.0328,37.5614) 2015.5.9 16:52:29
GPS(-123.0251,37.5576,14) Hb:121.7 Hs:0.0
ISO:100 TV:2500 EV:-1 IR:F2.8

00:05:27,000 --> 00:05:28,000
HOME(-123.0328,37.5614) 2015.5.9 16:52:30
GPS(-123.0252,37.5577,14) Hb:121.6 Hs:0.0
ISO:100 TV:2500 EV:-1 IR:F2.8

Yes, just connect your device to your computer, unlock if needed, start iFunbox, navigate to >app file sharing>DJI Pilot>localcache> then either 'flight record' or >Litchi folder. As I have not used litchi I am not sure which data file it needs for the conversion.

This is really interesting. But how do you attach the sidecar data, either SRT or CSV orf the data log? I can get the video to play, but no sidecar data.

Hi, I'm working on adding Phantom 3 support to my vehicle flight data visualization application (Dashcam Viewer). The software allows you to playback video of your flight alongside a Google Map showing your current position. Graphs and Data views show you additional flight data as the movie is played. I don't have a P3 so I've been working with a P3 pilot to get initial support working. But I'd like to get additional feedback from other flyers too, especially in regards to bugs and feature requests. The software relies on the SRT file being in the same location as the movie file and having the same name as the movie file (except for the extension).

You can get the software here:

Mac (OS X 10.8+): https://earthshinesw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dashcam_viewer_v1-7-6.zip
Windows (Win7,Win8): https://earthshinesw.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dashcamviewerwin_v1-7-6.zip

dcv_p3.jpg

A few caveats:
  1. That lat/lon data stored in the SRT file is somewhat low resolution. When moving slow you may see stair-stepping in the GPS track and speed graphs.
  2. 4K video may stutter during playback. I think my iMac is overwhelmed by the data rate! 1080p seems to work fine.
  3. You may see some playback stuttering on certain Windows computers. Still trying to diagnose this. The Mac version with 1080p does not stutter.
A couple of questions for you P3 folks:
  1. In the SRT file, does anyone know what the "Hs" parameter is?
  2. I heard there is a flight data file stored in the Pilot app that records the flight telemetry at a higher resolution. Would someone be able to send me one of these files along with a corresponding 1080p flight movie?
Special thanks to Evan P. for his help in developing this capability.

I'm gonna take a giant stab at this...

Hb = Height Barometer and Hs = Height Sonar (from the VPS)

I noticed I only have Hs values when the Phantom is <2-3m in height and then it reads downwards the closer to the ground it gets.

In saying that, it's disappointing your V/Speed and/or H/Speed are not logged in this data.

You dont need itoolbox to get the flight logs. Just use iTunes...

Well, the program plays back the video just fine, and I get the map track ok, as well as speed and altitude. These are in the side boxes, is there any way to overlay the data on the video itself? All this is coming from the .srt file, which is cool as no converting needed.
data1.jpg

Well, the program plays back the video just fine, and I get the map track ok, as well as speed and altitude. These are in the side boxes, is there any way to overlay the data on the video itself? All this is coming from the .srt file, which is cool as no converting needed.
data1.jpg
F6Rider, glad it works for you. Currently there is no way to overlay the info on top of the movie. Instead I display date, time and speed in the header area above the movie. Not quite as convenient as overlays but simpler to implement. I'll add this suggestion to my job jar.

F6Rider, glad it works for you. Currently there is no way to overlay the info on top of the movie. Instead I display date, time and speed in the header area above the movie. Not quite as convenient as overlays but simpler to implement. I'll add this suggestion to my job jar.
I haven't pulled the flight data off of the internal SD card to convert to CSV as of yet, do you know if it contains much more data than the .srt file? I like that I can just load the video into Dashcam and I can convert the .srt to CSV with one click. And your 'snapshot' on the fly is great for screen grab from the video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj