Best windsurfers for P4

• Thread starter Deleted member 27337
  • Start date
you confirmed what you were alluding to in post 17 right?

You are right, pointing out the hypocrisy of N017RW is off topic and UN-necessary! i apologize.

First of all these windsurfers aren't gold plated, they are copper. I just wanted to clarify that since folks here are talking about "gold". Copper looks cool, but it's no more efficient than aluminum, according to RF GUY in this forum, he's an RF antenna engineer. I believe his opinion. I've tried aluminum and copper both, and they both work the same from a range comparison point of view. What's more important according to RF GUY is the shape of the parabola. Ideally he says the surface of the parabola needs to be 2" from the antenna, but that's impossible due to the antenna spacing between both antennas, and the available space behind that conflicts with the tablet and holder. There are a few windsurfers in the market that position the parabola too close to the antennas, about 1/2", Kman has one of these and I happen to see it March 26 (don't ask me why I remember the date). The better ones have more space, about 3/4" between antenna and dish surface. The folding model on amazon is spaced at about 3/4", and the convenience of it folding like a clam shell is great for storage, not to mention it keeps the antennas parallel when in use, which helps. Windsurfers offer the most value for range extending, they work well. My range is almost doubled on my P3P. However other antenna options can work better, at a higher price money-wise, ergonimic-wise (harder to store), voiding warranty on the RC, and the fact the radio is always a directional antenna setup, no more omni-directional flying, which is an advantage of the windsurfer. Just slip off the windsurfer, presto, omni-directional. As for the P4 RC, windsurfers aren't as effective as P3P due to the lower RF power from the P4 RC. Windsurfer does help P4, but not as much, compared to P3P.

Reactions: N017RW
i briefly reached out to our RF engineering department antennae subject matter expert today to discuss ( i work in the mobile phone industry) . he mentioned that copper would likely be the best due to its highly conductive nature, usually gold and or silver is used when corrosion / contamination is at issue, next time I'm in san diego ill try to drop by our RF test lab and play.

Sounds familiar.

i briefly reached out to our RF engineering department antennae subject matter expert today to discuss ( i work in the mobile phone industry) . he mentioned that copper would likely be the best due to its highly conductive nature, usually gold and or silver is used when corrosion / contamination is at issue, next time I'm in san diego ill try to drop by our RF test lab and play.

The name of the game here is reflectivity, not conductivity. Hence, the copper not being any better than the aluminum for directing signals to the antennas.

i thought copper had a slightly higher reflectivity as well, ill see what i can pick from their brain next week ;) TGIF!

Oh no. My mistake.
I meant to reference Mr. Locke's post.
Re: Parabola shape and position relative to the antenna are dominant factors,
Cu vs. Al being marketing hype,
Etc.
That's what sounds familiar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member