Best video settings for slow motion playback

Reaction score
I have been asked to video someone riding a bike which can be displayed in slow motion in post production. I am aware that I can use 4k/60 or 1080/120 fps, are there any additional settings to the camera which may be helpful?....or any suggestions, or something else I may need to be aware of?....Thank you

I have been asked to video someone riding a bike which can be displayed in slow motion in post production. I am aware that I can use 4k/60 or 1080/120 fps, are there any additional settings to the camera which may be helpful?....or any suggestions, or something else I may need to be aware of?....Thank you
If you are doing slow motion, then you want the highest frame rate. If the 1080 is fine with the person asking for the video, then go with 1080/120.

The higher end video editing software should be able to provide decent slow motion from 60fps video. In Adobe Premiere, you can use a feature called "Optical Flow" to interpolate additional frames when slow down a video. A example of how to do that can be found here.

Reactions: tberton
If you are doing slow motion, then you want the highest frame rate. If the 1080 is fine with the person asking for the video, then go with 1080/120.

The higher end video editing software should be able to provide decent slow motion from 60fps video. In Adobe Premiere, you can use a feature called "Optical Flow" to interpolate additional frames when slow down a video. A example of how to do that can be found here.
That's what I do when I shoot my footages from my phantom 3 standard to my MacPro in final cut to increase the fps after editing the video. The quality of the video result is amazing, increasing it from 30fps to 60fps using optical flow helps a lot and make a big difference.

So after you film, what program/s can you use to play the footage in slow motion?
Also the higher the frame rate the better?
New to this and want to start filming in slow motion.
Thanks

The program you use to play back video is any program that will play the exported mp4 video, or what ever format you chose to export the video. Upload to Video or YouTube and then you will be able to enjoy and share the fruits of your labors. It doesn't take a special slow motion capable player :). Use any popular video play g software such as VLC Media Player. Stream it on your phone or tablet from one of the online services. Cast it to another device such as your HD big screen TV.

The best frame rate would depend upon your needs. 29.9 will be good for US TV viewing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31