Best night camera settings for fireworks

Reaction score
With July 4th just around the corner I want to be prepared to capture the big display put on by the city. Anyone have any preferred camera settings for taking fireworks video and pictures?

ISO
Shutter Speed
AE locked or not
Color
etc...

For stills I'd just go auto and I'd shoot AEB brackets of 5 to give me a few options for each shot and maximise the chances of getting it right..
I have to agree with you on this one.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
There are several suggestions on YouTube if you want still photos and with long exposure effects. The trick is video since the P3 has so much noise on auto. I've been practicing with a couple techniques (fixed ISO is probably the most important followed by focus and shutter). But don't have actual fireworks so am trying with stationary light objects...
I'm really hoping for some long exposure stills w/ help of ND filter more so than video. The P3 maintains well, so this could be HUGE!

Last edited:
I forgot to add that when I set this up, there was a lot of noise on my iPhone display and I was disconnected while it took the shot so don't panic!

For stills you'll want a longer shutter time... longer the better to get all of the streaks to say. They are also very bright so I would stay at a lower ISO. No auto for me and you will want to play with the expouser to see what works. Look up youtube on how to take photos of fireworks.

As for video you will want to use the rule of thumb for twice the frame rate for shutter speed and a higher ISO... 30 FPS would be 1/60th on the shutter. 24 FPS would be 1/50th. This will give you the best looking vidoe

I am photographer and a beginning Phantom Advanced flyer. Fireworks photography is ISO 100, f9, 24mm (wide), on a tripod and 2-3 seconds (but this can be adjusted depending on your goal). You have to remember fireworks are very bright, and the long exposure will let you see the trails of the burst. As I understand, on the Phantom Advanced, I can only adjust ISO and shutter speed. The aperture is wide (f2.8 and fixed?). This will let lots of light in compared to the f9 described above, but so you don't over expose you would need a fast shutter speed...probably too fast to get nice trails. So I am very very curious how people have actually shot stills and video of fireworks from a Phantom 3 advanced. What settings, etc? My first guess is ISO 100, but beyond that I am not sure

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Well the good thing is that most shows have a decent amount of fireworks. Just understand the settings and know how to compensate. You can take a quick peak at the previews while in flight.

For stills I'd just go auto and I'd shoot AEB brackets of 5 to give me a few options for each shot and maximise the chances of getting it right..

I always wondered what that AEB was for..So it takes separate shots? What does it stand for?

The longer the exposure the better.

These I think were 8 seconds.
Alicante fireworks blue.JPG
Alicante fireworks red.JPG

I always wondered what that AEB was for..So it takes separate shots? What does it stand for?
Auto Exposure Bracketing .. the camera shoots a bracket (you can choose 3 or 5) of photos a fraction of a second apart, each at a different exposure setting. This gives you a few exposure options to choose from or you can use all 5 images (if a static subject) to blend to create a HDR (High Dynamic Range) image.
In a bracket of 5 the P3 will shoot one exposure at correct exposure (0 EV), and one each at -0.7 EV, +0.7 EV, -1.4 EV & +1.4 EV.
Here is a bracket of 5 for an example.
i-ZNnKmgV-L.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.