Camera Settings P4

Reaction score
I'm using a P4 to search nadir into trees looking for model rockets. What are the best settings to use on the camera? There are shadows below the canopy I'd like to look into. Parachutes laying in the tops of the trees are obvious, but down in the shadows I'd like to pick out more detail. I"m thinking a faster shutter (reduce blur) with iso ~500. Manual WB on cloudy, and color set to d-cinelike. Are these right, or how would you shoot these? I'd post this in the P4 forum, but think a photo forum would give me better info. Thanks

I would use ISO100 and no ND filter. Expose for the shadows your looking for details in. This should give you high enough shutter speed to reduce blur to mostly nothing during daylight hours, assuming a somewhat slow speed of flight. either 24 or 30 fps. Cinelike is good if you intend to post process but if not you may want to use normal and although bumping contrast may not be great for productions it may help you find the rockets.
I'm wondering if Nadir is the best for scanning that enviroment.Maybe experiment with slightly up tilt from Nadir. I find it works better for some inspections.
What do you think?

Thanks for the info I had thought about multiple passes with a slight tilt and reversing direction as well as nadir. 3 passes total. How about raw + jpg. So I can manipulate post process to try various levels of contrast & color. Sometimes things will be apparent when we se them in a non-standard way.

Sure. I mistook that you were shooting video , then scanning frames, which might make sense.
I assume these are rockets that tracked off into a treed area. Are the chutes a specific color?
You could do a color pass filter and boost that color so that any other color would be black and white.
Some experimenting might be in order by placing a target manually, then overfly to try to locate and see what works best.

I'm using a P4 to search nadir into trees looking for model rockets. What are the best settings to use on the camera? There are shadows below the canopy I'd like to look into. Parachutes laying in the tops of the trees are obvious, but down in the shadows I'd like to pick out more detail. I"m thinking a faster shutter (reduce blur) with iso ~500. Manual WB on cloudy, and color set to d-cinelike. Are these right, or how would you shoot these? I'd post this in the P4 forum, but think a photo forum would give me better info. Thanks
I think you have to over expose or point meter to get the shadows lit. Also, try bracketing and HDR.

Bracketing and HDR is not possible at video.
Raising ISO will result only in shorter shutter speed. It will get you some extra sharpness but also more film grain.
I would raise the exp compensation from +1 to +3 depending of the environment and lower the contrast in picture mode setup. But looking into the wood in a bright sunny day the contrast between dark and bright areas is so big that it could easily exceed the sensor capabilities. Better to look on the search area in slightly cloudy sky when there is not full sun light.

Since the OP is NOT creating a production or an photograph, only searching in the enviroment for a rocket and/or chute, if he exposes for the shadowed area he is interested in , he can can let the highlights blow out

Bracketing and HDR is not possible at video.
Raising ISO will result only in shorter shutter speed. It will get you some extra sharpness but also more film grain.
I would raise the exp compensation from +1 to +3 depending of the environment and lower the contrast in picture mode setup. But looking into the wood in a bright sunny day the contrast between dark and bright areas is so big that it could easily exceed the sensor capabilities. Better to look on the search area in slightly cloudy sky when there is not full sun light.

I’m not shooting video. I had thought of overcast day being better.

Sure. I mistook that you were shooting video , then scanning frames, which might make sense.
I assume these are rockets that tracked off into a treed area. Are the chutes a specific color?
You could do a color pass filter and boost that color so that any other color would be black and white.
Some experimenting might be in order by placing a target manually, then overfly to try to locate and see what works best.

I had thought of the color pass filter. Just havent gotten that far.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic