Best "Monitor" for Phantom 3

The company that taught me for my CASA RPAS Certification, recommended the Samsung over the Apple because of a better graphics handling capability.
I'm not convinced, and for me would add another $800+ to the cost of one, but it's something I'll repeat here just in case it's any use to anyone.

I failed to point out that they weren't referring to the P3, but to the Inspire 1, which pumps out full HD through its Lightbridge, where the P3 is doing only 720 I believe, hence the need for the maximum graphics power possible.
Sorry, I'd forgotten the context of their comment.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of that.
Hmmm... then in that case there shouldn't be any issue.
I'd much prefer an iPad Mini 2 anyway, just because I'm already bound to Apple with all the apps and music I've purchased, so staying Apple helps with having a use for the iPad when it's not on the bird. I'm fully planning on an Inspire 1 in my future somewhere in the not too distant future.

When using the Nvidia Shield's HMDI output port, does the screen blank or continue to function as normal?

I am asking because I may want to use the HDMI port to send video to a set of HDMI goggles.

Reactions: Fplvert
If it helps someone with there choice: I also bought an Android next to my Apple stuff for the time remaining until the iOS app arrived. My - non-technical - findings:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 has a great screen in daylight although sun cover might be better, feels very well balanced with the remote controller, battery runs down quicker than both iPad's but there might be something with the DJI app on Android and battery usage as I read about someone else having the same strange thing where overnight a more than 60% battery was drained with only DJI App "active" and tablet soft-off (again, non-technical finding)
iPad Mini2, also great screen with little less sun "issue" than the Galaxy Tab S, same good balance as the Galaxy Tab S
Ipad Air 2, perfect screen/ user controls etc, crappy balance with the remote controller as it's just to heavy compared to the others
iPhone 6+, just a little to small for my taste but maybe I'm getting to old ;-)

Video works flawless on all of the above, not sure what "better graphics handling" would mean in this respect or perhaps all of the above have just good graphics handling from a DJI App pov. iOS has the simulator option but perhaps that's more for me at the moment now as a novice "pilot"

When using the Nvidia Shield's HMDI output port, does the screen blank or continue to function as normal?

I am asking because I may want to use the HDMI port to send video to a set of HDMI goggles.
I would like to know the answer to this one too. Have HDMI out and see the live view on the tablet at the same time. Cheers.

The shield has a mirror feature so the goggles show exactly what's on the screen.

I'm glad the mount can hold devices from phone to large tablet. Seems DJI realized there would be various preferences or applications. I personally feel the sweep spot is with ipad mini or similar android 7" size tablet

Hello I am newbie here and this is my first post. I am interested in buying a monitor as well for Phantom 3. I do not own any of the apple products.

If I buy a Mini 2 just for this purpose (monitor for phantom 3), do I need to sign up for any of the contracts with apple stores like internet, data...etc.? Or can I just buy the mini 2 and download app for phantom 3 (where to download, please?) and call it good? Thank you...

Welcome to the forum.

You will have to sign up with any of the devices compatible with the DJI Pilot app. You have to get data through wifi or a carrier such as AT&T, Verizon, ect.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.

You will have to sign up with any of the devices compatible with the DJI Pilot app. You have to get data through wifi or a carrier such as AT&T, Verizon, ect.

Hope this helps.

Thank you... So if I am in a national park where there is no wifi/internet connection, then I won't be able to see via monitor then? Thanks...

I have borrowed an iPad Mini 2 from work for a few days and I really hope there are better screens out there than this. It's next to useless in daylight... Well that's my experience anyway...

Well, you're not supposed to fly in National Parks anyway. Lol

No, what I'm telling you, at some point you will have to get the app from DJI and set up your account.

When you fly, ideally you have cellular service, wifi or loaded Google earth map so you can see your bird's location on the map view. Alternatively, you could use Bluetooth to a hotspot.

I have not flown where I didn't have some kind of service yet, but would imagine the map screen will only show nose position with no background.

You would still see FPV camera view.

lol.thanks, Fplvert. So even without wifi/data, i can still see from monitor what I'm capturing (FPV camera view)?

I recommend the iPad mini 2. Fits well and is large enough to use.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20