Benefit of device GPS? P4Pv2

Reaction score
im curious what benefit there is to have GPS on device (iPad mini w Dual BT source), given that drone and controller both have their own GPS receivers?

Thanks in advance.

im curious what benefit there is to have GPS on device (iPad mini w Dual BT source), given that drone and controller both have their own GPS receivers?
There are only two situations where a GPS receiver in the phone or tablet is used.
1. To reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
This is only useful if the operator is working from a moving car/boat etc
It is not dynamic (in DJI Go at least) It will not update continuously.

2. Follow-me flight
The Phantom has to have position data from the subject to be followed (the controller)

There are no other situations where the GPS receiver in the phone/tablet is of any use.
You can fly with it disabled and save the battery.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
The controller doesn't have a GPS receiver, only the aircraft. On a device, it's primarily used to dynamically reset the home point.

Thanks. I have misunderstood the app UI. I appreciate the clarification.

There are only two situations where a GPS receiver in the phone or tablet is used.
1. To reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
This is only useful if the operator is working from a moving car/boat etc
It is not dynamic (in DJI Go at least) It will not update continuously.

2. Follow-me flight
The Phantom has to have position data from the subject to be followed (the controller)

There are no other situations where the GPS receiver in the phone/tablet is of any use.
You can fly with it disabled and save the battery.

Thanks also for your clarification. I thought the P4P v2.0 also had it’s own GPS chip.

Sorry, I meant to say “I thought the P4P v2.0 controller also had it’s own GPS chip”. Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94