Being Lawful is a joke!

So the more I look into flying my phantom Lawfully and being a good boy and abiding by all the rules the more I can see and understand why people just fly anywhere they want without seeking permission etc.

In the U.K its literally you cant fly anywhere unless its you own back garden but don't fly higher than your house kinda thing. Its a joke!

There's a local abbey ( beaulieu abbey ) near me and I emailed to see if I could fly / film there, I thought I would ask before just going ahead with it any way, Now the NATS App says I can fly there but the reply I received was unfortunately not because of the new forests is heavily restricted for drone flying ...

Man it just winds me up.. I feel like anywhere I go with the drone im gonna be worrying about getting in trouble etc .. feels like we cant fly anywhere!

So the more I look into flying my phantom Lawfully and being a good boy and abiding by all the rules the more I can see and understand why people just fly anywhere they want without seeking permission etc.

In the U.K its literally you cant fly anywhere unless its you own back garden but don't fly higher than your house kinda thing. Its a joke!

There's a local abbey ( beaulieu abbey ) near me and I emailed to see if I could fly / film there, I thought I would ask before just going ahead with it any way, Now the NATS App says I can fly there but the reply I received was unfortunately not because of the new forests is heavily restricted for drone flying ...

Man it just winds me up.. I feel like anywhere I go with the drone im gonna be worrying about getting in trouble etc .. feels like we cant fly anywhere!
I m from California, all legal and certification in place. I know what you mean. I flew a lot this past year in Ireland....pushed the limits a bit. There is a place in Wales that allows for Drone flights, it's big right on the coast. Also flew in Croatia and Spain- go for it.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Im in the uk and have had no problems with anyone most people love to come up and ask questions about the drone and see how it works but i have just taken all my videos off facebook and youtube just in case.

Actually, IMHO, what will happen here in the US is that there will court cases that will eventually reach the Supreme Court and it will say that the FAA is the sole Authority that controls flying anything anywhere. I'll say it will happen during the current administration and not just guide lines but federal rules will be enacted that govern the use of drones. There will be wins and loss on both sides of the drone users / haters view points. You will either follow the rules or you won't fly. Governments who don't control the air space above them will have to have very good reason to impose rules that impede the FAA rules and maybe only under a FAA administrative ruling (No agency gives up power easily, so expect the FAA to assert it control) . Drone pilots who disregard the rules will face both civil and criminal charges for violators of these rules (not guidelines). We all might have to take a course and be licensed (at a much lower level than a maned craft), but if we want to fly then we do it. I would not be surprised to see a law that states that any software capable of controlling a drone has to be produced only by american owned companies. I can think of many scenario's when a bit of code that allows a satellite to send a "fly this route" to any drone flying, and drones crashing into electrical guides happens - it does need millions only thousands to make this work. I think there are many issues not addressed and sooner rather than later we will have national laws that determine how, where, and what we fly as hobbyist - only you can decide if you want to fly that way.IMMHO It will be better than every municipality passing laws and it may or may not be too restrictive for you. One thing though is clear, right now it is a void where hobby use it concerned and it is a big enough issue that the Feds will address it. Just my 2 cents worth....

I m from California, all legal and certification in place. I know what you mean. I flew a lot this past year in Ireland....pushed the limits a bit. There is a place in Wales that allows for Drone flights, it's big right on the coast. Also flew in Croatia and Spain- go for it.

What would happen i was on vacation in the states and wanted to bring and fly my phantom?

Actually, IMHO, what will happen here in the US...

And what will happen here in Canada will follow
suit, somewhat.

Like boats... a pleasure craft operators licence is now required, after I spent my entire youth tearing up lakes on any boat at any age...

And that licence has gone from a 20 minute process to a 3-hour online commitment complete with testing...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Anything to make money, thats what it all boils down too

What would happen i was on vacation in the states and wanted to bring and fly my phantom?
All RC aircraft have to be registered to fly in the US. Foreign pilots can register and get a number to display on their birds just like US pilots. Register here sUAS Registration.
Hobby registration is just $5 for 3 years. There has been some traffic that registration has to be through a US IP address, but can't confirm that. Do a quick search on the threads here, a Canadian pilot related getting his cert.

There has been some traffic that registration has to be through a US IP address, but can't confirm that. Do a quick search on the threads here, a Canadian pilot related getting his cert.
I've read about a few people outside of the US that have been able to register from their home country. It does say on the FAA site that you have to be in the US but I'm not sure they check IPs.

I too am finding it hard to find places to fly in the UK. It seems to me that common sense has gone out the window. Its becoming a nanny state with privacy laws and all the rest of it. lets hope the world will come to its senses and get a life before its all too late.

What about the Lake District? I know it's popular with paragliders and slope soaring. I've wanted to fly around the Battersea power plant--the Pink Floyd cover with flying pigs.

I've wanted to fly around the Battersea power plant--the Pink Floyd cover with flying pigs.

Animals, really good album, have to say I live in Colorado and maybe smoking some weed and reminiscing here :)

Full_pink_floyd_animals_album_cover_battersea_power_station.jpg

Awww sweet. I live by lewisham. Any chance we could hook up for a flight. I usually fly at bromley common as it's no issues at all

Neon Euc
Yes. I am planning a mega night flight. Just testing exposures etc. Will use Litchi. It needs lots of investment of time and height checks. Will let you know

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't like references to marijuana--I prefer uncut heroin. Joking aside--wasn't there a documentary on that place? And You KNOW someone flew a drone up there. And Animals may be the best album ever--it really is like pure, uncut artwork made by aliens. Pretty sure of that.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What about the Lake District? I know it's popular with paragliders and slope soaring. I've wanted to fly around the Battersea power plant--the Pink Floyd cover with flying pigs.
Haha count me in. I already checked that place out buy hard to access the site as their is always building work going on there

Neon Euc

There is a place in Wales that allows for Drone flights,
What's this place? I'm intrigued as live in Cardiff.

There are a couple of sites that help you keep things a bit legal. What I find confusing is the permission to fly at tourist attractions, some will allow it, yet some won't. Generally, before I fly anywhere in the UK I check the following sites.
Noflydrones.com
Caniflymydrone if it's going to be a tourist attraction or national park type thing.
And the DJI no fly zones.

Those three are a minimum. I usually also check google maps and use the measure tool to make sure I'm outside 150m of congested areas etc.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Yes great, I will record raw and am trying All exposures. It is sad that we have to be illegal due to our laws. Keep in touch

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I will be happy to meet up and fly around. Pretty sure we can fly around a few locations with out any complications [emoji4]

Neon Euc

it's kind of the same thing in the US, but with slightly more freedom. Still, it's almost impossible to find places to fly, since national parks are closed to UAV's, and historical sights are hard to come by. If you don't mind bending the law, as opposed to breaking it, you can claim ignorance as long as there is no signage clearly visible. You are, however risking a lot, because fines are high, and sometimes you can run into a strict ranger who won't buy your excuses. The #1 rule is don't disobey the word of a ranger, since you wont really have a reasonable excuse for flying otherwise.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT