I'm a little confused.......Question about a part of 107

You don't "fall under" Part 107 once you don't meet Part 101 requirements; it's simply the only other option for lawful flight.

LOL! You can say it however you want but if there are only 2 options and if you don't meet EVERY requirement to option #1 (hobby/recreational) then like it or not you default to option #2.

If memory serves me correctly (And it's been several weeks since this came about) the FAA presenter even said, "If you don't completely fit in the Hobby/Recreational box you default to Commercial".

Absolutely.

107 allows you to operate in any Class G airspace without seeking permission from anyone..

A pilot who is classified as a hobbyist rather than 107 has to contact every airport/heliport with a 5 mile circle of where he is operating regardless of whether the airport has controlled airspace or not..
I just send a text to Davis Airport and I'm done. That seems a lot simpler than acquiring a 107. Besides, I WANT them to know I'm there. And they WANT to know I'm there.

"I don't like no surprises." -Mike Vronsky, The Deer Hunter

Last edited:
I just send a text to Davis Airport and I'm done. That seems a lot simpler than acquiring a 107. Besides, I WANT them to know I'm there. And they WANT to know I'm there.

"I don't like no surprises." -Mike Vronsky, The Deer Hunter

You've got a good situation with one airport and an easy way to communicate with them. But, many places fall within 5 or 10 different airports or heliports. My home is on the very edge of a pretty small Texas town and it lays within 5 facilities. If I were to fly as a hobbyist I'd be legally required to contact all of them. But, they are all in class G airspace so 107 allows me to fly without calling anyone, which is good because most of the podunk class G facilities are not active anyway and making contact with some farmer who has a Piper Cub in his barn would be a pain.

Reactions: Falcon900
You've got a good situation with one airport and an easy way to communicate with them. But, many places fall within 5 or 10 different airports or heliports. My home is on the very edge of a pretty small Texas town and it lays within 5 facilities. If I were to fly as a hobbyist I'd be legally required to contact all of them. But, they are all in class G airspace so 107 allows me to fly without calling anyone, which is good because most of the podunk class G facilities are not active anyway and making contact with some farmer who has a Piper Cub in his barn would be a pain.
I'm in between with a bunch of class G airports and a class D. It was a pain to operate under 101. In one case I had to call a major company who couldn't have cared less.

I'm in between with a bunch of class G airports and a class D. It was a pain to operate under 101. In one case I had to call a major company who couldn't have cared less.

I hear you. Right now I'm in Claremont CA with KPOC (Brackett Class D), KCCB (Upland Class G) and KONT (Ontario Class C) nearby. There's a small corridor nearby where a park is in Class G but I do call KCCB as a courtesy to advise them (they have UNICOM there) that I'm operating under Part 107 and will stay below 200' AGL as their standard downwind is about 200 yards to the north and other local traffic comes zooming close by at 250'-300' AGL.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl