Beginner - first gps drone.

Reaction score
So after skimming through the vague quick start guide with no success after about an hour on google i figured out how to start my motors.

I callibrated the transmitter, then the drone, and the compass in that order.

Cool off the ground...

*Crash*

Very minor. I suppose it should be expected while only being connected to 5 satelites however i wasnt sure.
I believed this should hover in place when in the air until throtteled up a bit higher then hover again.
Im in gps mode but it seems incredibly unstable.
Is this a problem sollely due to the fact i am not fully connected to 6+ satelites?

Secondly im terrified of the flyaway factor so i tied a string to the legs (lol) im aware of the causes but that being said even after taking precausions im still nervous. Strings probably a bad idea so from you the pros had this occured to you and is it a rampant problem even after ensuring no wifi, callibration set and compass set? Is there any way at all to recover?

No way will I fly my P2V with less than 8 satellites. You didn't say what kind of UAV you have, but I suspect it wants more than 7, too.
Be careful with the strings. If they get caught up in a spinning prop, its motor could stop and you'll crash for sure. I know. It happened to me when a string broke between two prop guards, wound around a motor, and crash.
Mo'bettah you carefully read through the full manual rather than skim the quick start. OR read through this one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mce ... e.pdf?dl=0

I appreciate the reply, i will read through diligently tomorrow thanks.
I have the phantom 1.1.1 ( pretty sure ) forgive me for,the complete ignorance here... Litterally started flying these a weak ago. Practiced on a cheap x5c thinking it would be similar.
Not sure how to tell how many satelites im hooked up to besides the indicator light on the phantom itself. I have heard of the app but i thought it was only for the phantom 2.

Again thanks for the info ill explore the link you provided.

When first just getting above the ground, the craft is a bit unstable until it gets a couple feet off the ground. This is due to the rotor wash on the ground creating lots of unstable air beneath it.

To avoid this problem, you have to full-throttle take off until you're at least a couple feet off the ground. If you try to lift off gently, it will probably fall over like you say.

Once you get out of the rotor wash territory, then it's very smooth and easy to control.

Even with no satellites the drone should be pretty stable once your a bit higher off the ground. I've taken off several times with 3 satellites without any issues, drone was stable other than drifting with the wind.

yeah good info I did need to get some altitude. did a test flight on a tether seemed to work fine, still drifted off a bit in gps mode, but I didn't calibrate the compass before that test flight so undoubtedly that was the issue.

quick question though on turning on the home lock feature.
like I said its the 1.1.1 version phantom. I believe the naza2 chip is already installed.
I don't see the option to turn on these advanced modes in neither the remote software nor the drone software.
is it on by default in the 1.1.1? I have watched the tutorials on how to do it for the phantom 2 but cannot find any for phantom 1.1.1
I would have tested it if I had not been too nervous to fly the required 30 feet away for the home lock feature.
just trying to familiarize with the safety return features.
yes I made sure to wait till my home position was saved with 7 satellites before I flew. like I said the only thing I forgot was compass calibration which I will do first next time.

Thank you guys for all your help!

Deffo would have been the lack of compass calibration, that and it sounds like you havnt waited to see both sets of rapid green flashing lights.

Always do the following before taking off ...

Turn on your transmitter
Put the phantom on level ground and plug the battery in but leave the battery door open as rocking it etc will knock the calibration off slightly
watch the LED at the rear, it will flash red in pulses, this indicates that its finding sats, 3 flashes will signify that its not found many, just let it sit there flashing for now.
It will then flash rapidly green to signify that it has a course lock (this is the direction its pointing etc) Dont take off yet.
It will still be flashing red most likey but now only 1 or two red flashes in quick succession. these red flashes will eventually stop then it will do a seconds rapid green flash.
Only after it has flashed green rapidly for the 2nd time you are clear to take off, this will mean that it has at least 6 satalites (most cases it will have 8 to 12)

What i would advise is also flicking the GPS/Atti and Home/Course lock sticks while its on the ground then back to top just to make sure its in the right mode.
I would also advise you take off and get it above head height, ensure that its hovering round within 1m is ok. Then when your learning, the Course lock mode is fantastic.

Ensure the IOC controls are enabled in the naza software first off, once they are, the course lock will let you get used to flying, keeping it very simple and helps you always keep your heading.
check this vid for an explination on course lock ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tncWssRns

EDIT - Just read the above post .. No IOC is not enabled by default, god knows why not!
Its in Advanced and IOC .. simply turn it on.

Danny-B- said:
Deffo would have been the lack of compass calibration, that and it sounds like you havnt waited to see both sets of rapid green flashing lights.

Always do the following before taking off ...

Turn on your transmitter
Put the phantom on level ground and plug the battery in but leave the battery door open as rocking it etc will knock the calibration off slightly
watch the LED at the rear, it will flash red in pulses, this indicates that its finding sats, 3 flashes will signify that its not found many, just let it sit there flashing for now.
It will then flash rapidly green to signify that it has a course lock (this is the direction its pointing etc) Dont take off yet.
It will still be flashing red most likey but now only 1 or two red flashes in quick succession. these red flashes will eventually stop then it will do a seconds rapid green flash.
Only after it has flashed green rapidly for the 2nd time you are clear to take off, this will mean that it has at least 6 satalites (most cases it will have 8 to 12)

What i would advise is also flicking the GPS/Atti and Home/Course lock sticks while its on the ground then back to top just to make sure its in the right mode.
I would also advise you take off and get it above head height, ensure that its hovering round within 1m is ok. Then when your learning, the Course lock mode is fantastic.

Ensure the IOC controls are enabled in the naza software first off, once they are, the course lock will let you get used to flying, keeping it very simple and helps you always keep your heading.
check this vid for an explination on course lock ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tncWssRns

EDIT - Just read the above post .. No IOC is not enabled by default, god knows why not!
Its in Advanced and IOC .. simply turn it on.
I appreciate the info thank you, iv brushed up on some of the matterial still trying to find the time with work.
I will try this tonight after watching the video you posted.
Still need some time before my tether can be released lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl