Beginner Drone Help Please

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but - I'm a complete beginner to any form of drone flying or aerial videography. I've been a film maker for the last decade but would really like to purchase my first drone to just have a play around with what footage I can get from above.

However, I'm having a really difficult time finding which drone is best for me. At the moment the shortlist for me is any of the Phantom 3 Series and the Phantom 4.

My needs are that:
I am a beginner who would need to learn how to fly from scratch.
I am hoping to have footage that could be used on commercial web and promotional videos.
4K isn't that important as I rarely produce content past 1080p.

The reason that I'm having such a hard time is that every blog post seems to say that all of them are fantastic drones and that the jump between the Phantom 3 and 4 isn't that great apart from the object collision avoidance system.

Does anyone have any experience in using the 2.7k camera on the standard or advanced at a professional level (is it good enough), or should I save up to get either the Phantom 3 Professional or the Phantom 4?

Many Thanks,
Jamie

Since you didn't mention funds being a problem, I'd say go with the P4. That way when the P5 comes out, you're only one generation back.

The reason that I'm having such a hard time is that every blog post seems to say that all of them are fantastic drones and that the jump between the Phantom 3 and 4 isn't that great apart from the object collision avoidance system.
The jump between the Phantom 3 and 4 is not huge skill-wise. You could easily start flying a Phantom 4 if you already know how to fly a Phantom 3. Build-wise, the jump is enormous and very impressive. Check out all of the new changes here.

Does anyone have any experience in using the 2.7k camera on the standard or advanced at a professional level (is it good enough), or should I save up to get either the Phantom 3 Professional or the Phantom 4?
You should get very similar results when shooting in 2.7k on all Phantom 3 and 4 models. The deciding factor will most likely lie with the other features of those Phantoms. For example, the P3A has Lightbridge and can fly more than 3 times further than the P3S (per DJI's specs). And, the Phantom 4 has a locking prop system to prevent the props from releasing mid-flight. Compare each model closely and figure out which features are important to you.

I'd suggest you don't go with anything less than the P3A. If you have no budget restriction, then definitely get the P4.

I'd suggest you don't go with anything less than the P3A. If you have no budget restriction, then definitely get the P4.

I'd have to agree with this. I have the Phantom 3 Standard and while it is is a great bird and I enjoy flying it there are several features on the Advanced that make it n the better choice. The Advanced and models above it have greater range, vision positioning system, GPS/Glonass, etc. The controllers for these models also allow you to start and stop video and take pictures from the controller as well as including the tablet mount.

If I could go back and do it again I'd have settled for nothing less than the Advanced or better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl