Battery Help !

Rod,
I found my Phantom about 100 feet from the final coordinates that DJI analyzed on my flight log. I just walked up on it as I was making my way through the dense woods. The video on the micro-sd card was not finalized, so the battery did finally fail. I followed the owners manual in trying to retrive that video, but it was not successful. It said to power the drone back up and wait 90 seconds then power it down and the video should be finalized and you could see it. This did not work. There is a "id00" link to it, but still no video for 10/4/2016 in the video list.
I will get on chat with DJI support and see if they have any other ways to get it to finalize.
I have not attempted another flight, yet, but I will go through all the calibrations before doing so.
One carbon prop was broke off on one side, and another one was chipped, so they were still rotating when the drone fell into the woods.
DJI said that the drone flew backwards into a tree at 34MPH, but this could not have happened since it was at 134 feet and the tallest tree in that area was 48 feet tall. I have a good accurate app on my smartphone to measure height. So, I believe the battery just died at 2 mins 8 secs into the flight and the drone went down with the props still spinning some. When I got the drone back, I hit the power button on the battery and it still blinked on the first LED which the manual says indicates 0.5 volts t 12.5 volts. At the low end, it can not turn the props fast enough to maintain altitude.
If there is damage to the drone, other than the props, then I will still pursue something with DJI on the battery failure.
Thanks for your help.
Thomas

Good news, Yeah I kind of doubted the video would be saved correctly, by that much time passing, what was left to be written to the SD card, would have been lost by then, power dissipated.

I would try to repair it with @Luis J. program. This is link to the latest version I found.
App to fix corrupted Video Files (new one)

Link to the thread form the beginning.
App to fix corrupted Video Files (new one)

You need a good video file that you would have used the same camera settings as the one that didn't finish.

His program doesn't modify ether file it creates a new one. I would put a copy of both files in a temp folder anyway, that is just the way I do things, less confusing when you have your end results.

Wow, you got some good luck finding the lost one, I still got one you can help me find. :D

Before you get to many new flights on your Phantom, you can download the flight that is stored in the Phantom, this will get overwritten in about 5-10 flights.(?) They are very large files, but will have information after you lost signal with it.

Rod

This is probably my final entry. DJI says the drone was flying backwards and ran into a tree at 134 feet. I found the drone very near the final coordinates that they had in their analysis, different from the final coordinates that I got out of the Text file interpretation from phantomPilots help. But, where I found it , there were no trees over 48 feet, and we have no trees over 100 feet anywhere near us. So, my guess is that the battery prematurely failed at around 2 mins 25 seconds into the flight and the drone came down. The battery still had 0 to 12.5 volts but probably went to near 0 volts when it crashed. I had one broken prop and one chipped prop which does mean that the props were turning when the drone came down. I have found no damage to the drone and have made two additional flights with RTH working perfectly both from the button on the controller and the command from the DJIGO app. I have offered to send the battery to DJI if they have a way to analyze it since it did have a "battery error" at 94% and 59 seconds into the flight. I am going to consider this closed, on my part, and if DJI wants to really know what happened, they will tell me how to get the flight record off the drone and I will send it to them.
Thanks Rod and everyone for their input. I learned a lot about the drone and piloting from this experience.
Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers