Battery gauge in dashware?

Reaction score
I've started playing around with dashware. I've managed to overlay my flight data but I'd like to get some sort of battery data. There seems to be a lack of support, I can't find any pre-made 'widgets' I'm wondering if someone might be able to offer some help. Does the P4 even contain battery data as standard in its logs? I've seen some people mention having to use Litchi...?

I don't have a P4, but I'd imagine the log would have battery data. Is it a CSV file? I hope so. You can look directly at the log with a text editor, but better yet, look at it with Dashware, because you'll see it in a spreadsheet format.

From the opening screen:

File/Edit Data Profiles (you can't edit them, but you can look at them)

Click the Open Data File button and find the log file and click once on it, then click the Open button at the bottom of the screen. The file should appear on your screen, but it will be unformatted.

Click on the tiny white/grey down arrow in the upper right corner, and choose an appropriate viewer (I use Flytrex).

Next click the Test File/View Data button. You should now see a new screen with your file formatted.

I'd imagine if you peruse the top of the columns, you'll find all sorts of battery info such as voltage, temperature, cell info, serial number, product date, etc.

Now that you know where in the file the battery data is located, you can make your own gauge to show the data on your screen. If you don't know how to make your own gauge, you can use one of the many pre-made gauges and simply redefine the data it reads so that it will show the battery data you wish to display.

Here's an example of a video from last winter showing overlayed battery data (percentage, voltage, temp) taken from both a Flytrex log and a Litchi log (the battery temp starts at 28C because I pre-warmed it prior to the flight):

Edit: Actually the above was a waypoints mission and it flew out of Litchi range so it's not a good example. This one might be better but doesn't have battery temp - I only had my Phantom for a month at this point last fall.

Last edited:
Awesome - thanks for the detailed post. I'll give it a crack this evening. Which pre-mad gauge would you suggest for battery percentage in a simple three digit format. I can't seem to find anything appropriate

The one in the follow me video was pre made. It should be in there somewhere... I can't check right now because dashware is busy creating a vid...

Edit: Yep - it's there, starts with the word DARK

Last edited:
Okay, I've successfully located battery data in csv and applied it to a gauge BUT I can't find a gauge that mentions battery percentage. At the moment it's applied to some random gauge and so says '69 velocity'. Is there a way of modifying existing gauges so that the supplemental information reflects what I'm trying use it for? Or do I have to find one that already has the words 'battery remaining' included?

NEVERMIND, clicked on enough buttons and figured it out!! Thanks for all your help, I'll post my 'nearly lost my bird at sea video' shortly :)

Nice video! Great job on the dashware! Yeah that's the gauge I was using early on.

If you fool around with it long enough, you can figure out how to add battery voltage and battery temp. In that way you can diagnose battery problems in previous flights before they kill you in future flights.

Consider using daftlogic.com to measure the distance next time so you know exactly how far you have to fly.

Consider checking uavweather.com and/or windytv.com to assess wind, and be wary of the cross wind. The cross wind is what will ruin you.

Fly low into the head wind and high with the tail wind to max battery life and minimize travel time.

You survived. Well done sir. :grinning:

I knew about uavweather but crosswind.tv (awesome) and daftlogic are new to me - thanks. Yeah, it was definitely a cross wind trying to take me out on that flight. What exactly are the warning signs one should be looking for re voltage and battery temp? I'll have a play with adding them to future videos.

I once had a battery that liked to drop voltage significantly early in the flight and then hang on in the low voltage area. This was unusual relative to my other batteries. Sure enough, one day it went into autoland at 27% charge.

Re temp, I think it's nice to know if a particular battery runs hotter quicker than it should. You may be too busy flying to notice this during flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj