Battery deep recharging

I had a battery force me to land within 5 minutes with a "fatal battery error" warning. Recharging it as per normal gave the same result. A slow, deep discharge ie leave it on in the bird until it turns itself off and then a full charge fixed it.

I had a battery force me to land within 5 minutes with a "fatal battery error" warning. Recharging it as per normal gave the same result. A slow, deep discharge ie leave it on in the bird until it turns itself off and then a full charge fixed it.

Yes, if there is an actual issue, running the battery down to 8% can reset it so it knows what is "0% and what is 100%. But if there are no issues, it's not needed.

I'd also keep a _close_ eye on the battery as it could be a failing cell.

Yes, if there is an actual issue, running the battery down to 8% can reset it so it knows what is "0% and what is 100%. But if there are no issues, it's not needed.

A deep discharge may allow a balance issue to resolve during recharge (if that is the issue). With respect to the OP question the deep discharge provides no benefit whatsoever so far as calibration (including determining 0, 100 or any other %). The TI battery management SOC constantly measures and updates all critical parameters (including IR) during charge and discharge.

A deep discharge may allow a balance issue to resolve during recharge (if that is the issue).
What would this "balancing" issue be that a deep discharge helps resolve?

A "balance" issue is that one of the cells it not tracking correctly as to it's 0-100% charge state as it relates to the other cells. Basically, what I mentioned.

What would this "balancing" issue be that a deep discharge helps resolve?

A "balance" issue is that one of the cells it not tracking correctly as to it's 0-100% charge state as it relates to the other cells. Basically, what I mentioned.
That being the case and in the interest of addressing the OP’s question let’s qualify it by making it clear that a cell balance issue is rarely resolved by deep discharging the pack. A significant cell balance issue (70mv+ Is a conservative figure for our application in the phantoms) is usually a function of Individual cell IR values. Deep discharge cannot improve IR or recover lost capacity, all we might hope for is that the terminal voltage of the bad cell might be brought closer to the others during charging from a lower starting capacity (the smart board only has .25w bleed resistors for balancing). We may buy a little extra time before the bad cell approaches LVC by deep discharging. Reality is the pack is approaching retirement.

Yes, I have marked it accordingly & only use it for testing.

Yes, I have marked it accordingly & only use it for testing.
That is a helpful addition, the fact you retired it confirms that significant voltage differences between LiPo cells in a battery can’t be satisfactory resolved by any means, including deep discharge. You may recover a little capacity, perhaps the pack would be acceptable for an application with lower demands for current delivery, it can’t be trusted in a phantom or similar application though.

Nice to read sense is prevailing in the world !

As said by other - once problems appear in a LiPo - there is NO magic fix. But retiring to bench testing / update / checking use is fine.

You could even use it for a recharge power pack ... get a TELESIN discharger - then you have USB recharge function for mobiles / tablets etc.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie