Batteries Swelling Up!

LiPo swelling would be permanent and not something that happens just after use then goes away before next use. The card board wrapper can bulge a bit due to the temperature increase that happens from the battery discharge in flight but that's not LiPo swelling.

N017RW said:
I have my doubts.
Simple enough to test... just hookup to P2 Assistant after flight and see.
I regularly do but cells recover until connected so it's not a good way to check for it. Would need to put a higher load while connected to the assistant but then again I prefer to fly instead of having my Phantom grounded for tests

Panamon Creel said:
LiPo swelling would be permanent and not something that happens just after use then goes away before next use. The card board wrapper can bulge a bit due to the temperature increase that happens from the battery discharge in flight but that's not LiPo swelling.

This is the answer I was looking for! Thank you!

Meta4 said:
YeeaaBoii said:
Has anyone checked the sides of their batteries for minor swelling to see if it's just normal?
My 4 show no sign of swelling after 15-50 flights.

Paul K said:
In my opinion one of the reasons why battery swelling occurs, is when you would fly the craft with lots of power demand ( fly with very little hovering ;in another words if you don't give the battery a break during the flight)

The only time you fly with less power demand than hovering is when you are descending so almost all of every flight will be at high demand.

What I meant by high demand was put the battery in phantom and run it nonstop until you get low battery warning.
When you check it , it is wary hot in your hand.
I was testing set of the batteries on my practice quad and the ones I was flying nonstop till voltage warning ,are all swollen ; the ones I used with breaks 3 time 3 minutes with landing in between those are OK ( and I have at least 100 flights on each).

I also tested one of the batterie with one bad cell by hooking up the light to it ; the moment it drained to zero it was swollen like balloon ( another proof of fast power drainage costs swelling )

I would suggest to mark couple of batteries and use one with breaks and another for one flight till low volt. warning and see what wear it will show after pros. 20 flights?

What's the most objective way to find out if you should discontinue using a battery?

The amount of swelling seems subjective.

Here's my 4 batteries. Let's say the closest one to the lamp is #1.

Which one(s) is swollen and should be discarded?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425633214.184726.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425633214.184726.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 344
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425633228.722184.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425633228.722184.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 331
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425633241.230274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425633241.230274.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 370
100% charged then when it got down to around 60% I started getting battery low alert and the bird started to auto descend. This happened with 2 of the 4 batteries.

I got the 2.6 upgrade on 2 of my 3. Batterys,my last one has firmware 2.0 in it,the two 2.6 batterys have an auto discharge option and my 2.0 doesnt,why is this necessary? I cannot upgrade the 2.0 battery, I currently have no swelling, I contacted dji and they claim that 2.0 battery doesn't need a firmware upgrade, it's kind of annoying because in about 5 days my 2.6 battery starts discharging

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj