Batteries not charging

Reaction score
20180119_170256.jpg 20180120_195457.jpg Hello everyone, I'm very new to the drone world and looking to get very into it very fast. I got my first drone yesterday... yes, yesterday, never flown one before, or even seen one outside the store before then either, so I'm very very new.

I am not, however, not a newb to electronics, I've been a semi pro photographer for 10 years now and ran my own computer repair shop for a couple years before that, so I'm well versed in how these things "should" work, so don't be afraid to use technical terms.

So here is the story so far...

I bought a p4p and an extra high cap battery yesterday, got it unboxed, grabbed the non high cap battery and plugged it into the wall immediately. I finished unboxing the rest of the gear and got the software downloaded, spent some time getting things figured out, then about 45 mins after plugging it in I checked the status of the battery. I was a little surprised to see that it was still flashing the first LED. I've never used one before, so I just assumed that it must take a long long time to charge these things if its still at 1 led after almost an hour.

About another hour later I checked it again, same 1 flashing LED.

I understand that lipo batteries are a little unreliable, so I figured I must have a dud, unplugged it, grabbed the high cap battery, plugged it in, about an hour later It was still at 1 flashing LED...

I was a little concerned at this point. Sometime in the last 3 hours I read the manual I downloaded online and remembered the section on flashing LED error reporting, so I found the section and according to the LED it seems to be telling me that it is too cold to charge. I live in Canada, but my house isn't particularly cold, so I'm pretty sure they aren't too cold to charge.

The two batteries had a little charge to them still, so I inserted one into the drone to get the battery info from the DJI GO app and I was able to get the information from both, so I have the cell volt information, no cell under 3v.

Anyway, I thought maybe I simply got two duds, went down to bestbuy, made sure they'd take a return if they were no good (staples wouldn't) they said they would, bought two, checked them in the parking lot, BOTH the new batteries show the exact same code and wont charge.

This leads me to a couple conclusions... I'm doing something wrong... I'm extremely unlucky to get 4 batteries with the exact same problem, or my charge cable is no good.

Has anyone else had this issue?

BTW the exact code I'm seeing is the LED furthest from the power button flashing 2 times per second for 12 flashes, then all lights go on and the "turning off" sequence of lights going out, then all lights out for 10 seconds where the code repeats.

Things I've already tried...

I turned the battery "on" while plugged in. This has the LED slowly flash for about 5 minutes, where it then shuts off and resumes the code described before.

I held the power button down for 5 seconds (as described in another post here) and all lights turn on to show "optimum battery health" (as described in a previous post.)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help I could get on this, Thank you in advance!

(also, I've googled the heck out of the subject and havn't found a single match to this issue)

-Jason

Last edited:
It’s more likely you have one dud power brick than four dud batteries.

They should fully charge in just over an hour. And you can’t be missing anything, there is no trick.

Does the remote charge?

I suspect you're right. I've been eyeballing the power brick since yesterday, but it's hard to ignore the number of posts complaining about bad batteries and it was easier to find more batteries than a second charger.

The remote did charge just fine... I think. It charged but it was blinking the LEDs the whole time, first 1, then 2,3 and four then they stayed solid. Assuming that is the normal procedure, the remote seems like its fully charged.

I've ordered an aftermarket charge cable with an octopus head on it for charging 3 batts at a time, it'll be here thursdayish, so I'll find out then if it was the cable or some other kind of problem

hopefully introducing aftermarket parts doesn't create more problems...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav