Backpack or hard case?

Reaction score
I can see the advantages of having a backpack, easy to carry around, light, maybe a bit smaller. But the hard cases seem to offer more protection and a bit more storage space. So I'm asking from experienced folks, for all around general usage, which one would you spend your $$$ on if you could only pick one?

I kind of like the look of the DJI hardshell, btw... but plenty of cases in the range that offer great protection.

I would buy a hard case -- and, then get a backpack as a backup if needed. If buying a hard case, the Go Professional and Microraptor Pro cases are very nice. Get the Microraptor Pro if you like both, but want something more compact.

Last edited:
I like the Microraptor Pro hard case but it is just my personal preference. If you have a reason for having a backpack such as taking it on hikes, etc. the backpack would make sense. I don't think the DJI hard backpack has room for a tablet.

I bought a soft backpack $46.- in eBay. It works very well. Easy transportation, light and useful. With the difference between soft and hard I bought an extra battery.

If I could only pick one, I'd get the GPC backpack.

http://goprofessionalcases.com/gpc-dji-phantom-3-backpack.html

It works for carry-on if you want to take your bird on vacation and has room for everything needed for hiking and flying. Mine, loaded with gear and two 16 oz. water bottles weighs in at 14 lbs.

Reactions: jpasqua
Like others said really depends on your needs. The hard case is nice for storage, and travel if you want to carry a lot of batteries, they are also crush proof, and water tight (good for taking out on a boat). The Backpack works better as a carry on or for taking places where roller case wouldn't be ideal (Hiking for example). In a perfect would it would be nice to have both if budget allows.

We make a hard case currently and will have a backpack out in the next couple of weeks.

Like others said really depends on your needs. The hard case is nice for storage, and travel if you want to carry a lot of batteries, they are also crush proof, and water tight (good for taking out on a boat). The Backpack works better as a carry on or for taking places where roller case wouldn't be ideal (Hiking for example). In a perfect would it would be nice to have both if budget allows.

We make a hard case currently and will have a backpack out in the next couple of weeks.
I have your site bookmarked already Kris... ;-) On the backpack coming out you speak of, hardshell or something else? Price range??

Thanks

I bought a soft backpack $46.- in eBay. It works very well. Easy transportation, light and useful. With the difference between soft and hard I bought an extra battery.
Hmm. I'll check into this. I agree that the cases are very expensive. I mean we are talking about cut foam and a case so why such high costs?... But then again, this is a $1000+ toy here...

Reactions: ScottyT
I like the Microraptor Pro hard case but it is just my personal preference. If you have a reason for having a backpack such as taking it on hikes, etc. the backpack would make sense. I don't think the DJI hard backpack has room for a tablet.
I have the Microraptor hard case, too. Built well and very durable!

Can you share which one you bought? I'm planning to go hiking so I'll need a backpack, don't want to get too deep $ into a bag

Reactions: MoreGone
MoreGone, there are some inexpensive backpacks here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#CasesP3

Wow after seeing the Amazon Basic back work maybe I can rethink using my old Manfrotto Veloce V photography backpack. Ill look into that tonight. I know my Think Tank Street Walker would work but I don't want to have to reconfigure it regularly between DSLR photography and aerial photography

I went with the DJI Hardshell because that was the only thing carryon sized available when I was a week out from my flight. I actually got a compliment on what a nice looking backpack it is, but they were more confused when I showed them what was inside (yes, I ran into people who are absolutely clueless that quadcopters and flying camera even exist, in First Class (DEN-IAD), but I digress).

I love the DJI hardshell for the size ad lightweight. I really appreciate that the DJI hardshell will fit under the seat in economy. I hate the DJI hardshell for the lack of space for anything that wasn't in the shipping box (it does hold 3+1 batteries).

With the discovery last night (thanks to a thread here) that you can hold a full sized tablet inside the DJI hardshell (between the foam and the case, strap side) I suddenly have found a new appreciation for the hardshell.

If they had been available, I would have gone with the GPC backpack, but I'm learning to live with the hardshell.

I went with the DJI Hardshell because that was the only thing carryon sized available when I was a week out from my flight. I actually got a compliment on what a nice looking backpack it is, but they were more confused when I showed them what was inside (yes, I ran into people who are absolutely clueless that quadcopters and flying camera even exist, in First Class (DEN-IAD), but I digress).

I love the DJI hardshell for the size ad lightweight. I really appreciate that the DJI hardshell will fit under the seat in economy. I hate the DJI hardshell for the lack of space for anything that wasn't in the shipping box (it does hold 3+1 batteries).

With the discovery last night (thanks to a thread here) that you can hold a full sized tablet inside the DJI hardshell (between the foam and the case, strap side) I suddenly have found a new appreciation for the hardshell.

If they had been available, I would have gone with the GPC backpack, but I'm learning to live with the hardshell.

Actually it holds 4 batteries. One in the phantom and 3 spaces for 3 batteries. After using a backpack, no more lugging a heavy bulky case.

I can see the advantages of having a backpack, easy to carry around, light, maybe a bit smaller. But the hard cases seem to offer more protection and a bit more storage space. So I'm asking from experienced folks, for all around general usage, which one would you spend your $$$ on if you could only pick one?

I kind of like the look of the DJI hardshell, btw... but plenty of cases in the range that offer great protection.
Just got my dji case today very small but fits everything perfectly. I'm going to wear it biking if. That proves anything about backpack size. I was a little skeptical about price but it's solid. About time dji made a good case and they did it for almost half the cost of a goprofessional

Actually it holds 4 batteries. One in the phantom and 3 spaces for 3 batteries. After using a backpack, no more lugging a heavy bulky case.

Yes, I said it does hold 3+1 batteries, meaning 3 batteries in the case and one in the pipe, err I mean P3 :)

I have the DJI soft backpack. It is small enough to fit under my airline seat, but carries all my gear.
We carry our DSLR's in soft backpacks too. So far we've been careful enough to not bag them around too much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav