Aviation VHF Radio Use by UAS pilots

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if some/many/all remote pilots with Part 107 use VHF radios to communicate with airports or use them just to listen in. I understand that a remote pilot is usually not required to call an airport but would imagine that having a radio so you can hear what's happening may be of some value. So, are people using radios in place of or in addition to cell phones?

For those of us that are not yet 107 certified and are required to contact towers must that be done by phone or can you use a radio? If you can use a radio what are the rules or guidelines for using a radio to contact a tower etc.

Brian

Reactions: SperryGeo
To actually transmit on a radio requires a FCC license, but even if I had one I think I would probably at least call the tower first to let them know I might be talking on the local CTAF/UNICOM frequency and make sure they know that *I* know what I'm doing. (I don't have a radio myself but am considering getting one for listening since I live within five miles of my local towered airport.)

+1 on what kennedye said. This issue has been bashed around repeatedly on this forum. Consensus is that in addition to requiring an FCC station license to transmit from the ground and limited line-of-sight range, it's not a good the way to go. Once you contact the tower (usually by phone), they will let any planes calling in know about your activity. I use my bearcat scanner to monitor CTAF/Unicom as well as the local Metar broadcast. Just as a plus to this, I have a Class E (sfc) authorization with no mention either in my submission or in the paperwork from the FAA of using a transmitter to contact Approach Contol.

Reactions: Falcon900
Actually, aviation band radios do not require an FCC license as long as you're in the US. The FAA states that Remote Pilots should monitor only, and only transmit in the case of flight safety or emergency. In the event that you do need to broadcast, you need to know proper protocols and phraseology, as well as appropriate frequencies. Gold Seal has a lesson devoted to this.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Get the Live ATC app and listen to local air traffic if you want to become familiar. The phraseology is specific, every word counts. As you come to realize how fast paced and dense the communication is, you'll probably realize that your best bet is a phone call to ATC. Well, unless you are an experienced pilot who is comfortable with ATC communications already.

Actually, aviation band radios do not require an FCC license as long as you're in the US. The FAA states that Remote Pilots should monitor only, and only transmit in the case of flight safety or emergency. In the event that you do need to broadcast, you need to know proper protocols and phraseology, as well as appropriate frequencies. Gold Seal has a lesson devoted to this.
This from the FCC page FCC: Wireless Services: Aircraft Stations: Operations, "You may only use your hand-held aircraft VHF radio in your aircraft under the terms of your aircraft license. You are required to have a separate Ground Station license to operate your radio on the ground." Not requiring a license domestically only applies to operating the radio in the aircraft, and that references the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's License.

Interesting, Richard. Thanks for the link. It's contrary to something I read in the last six-months but this does seem to be a definitive answer. In the real world, pilots use handheld radios on the ground to talk to aircraft in flight all the time. It is extremely common for flight instructors to do this during student solos. But according to the page you found, they do say a ground station license is required to do so.

Not to say someone else couldn't find another page that completely contradicts what I found (Hey, we are talking about the Government), but at least its a stake in the sand.

Reactions: Falcon900
Great info guys, appreciate the comments. So in summary the phone is the tool you use to contact but no license is required to "listen" in to ATC conversations -- correct? It's probably a good idea to listen in to help familiarize yourself with the kinds of conversations and the language used as it could further you understanding of the whole process. I'll have to check out the Live ATC app...

Brian

Oh yeah, you can listen in on ATC all you want, you just can't transmit unless you're sitting in an airplane or have a ground license. LiveATC.net has streams for most airports and even breaks them up by tower/approacg/ground/etc in cases where airports use more than one frequency.

At Paine Field, they offer local pilots and would-be pilots (of all aircraft, not just UASs) the chance to come take a tour of the tower; it's a good way to show them the other side of the radio, so to speak. I haven't done one yet but it's on my to-do list. If you have a towered airport nearby you could try contacting them to ask if they offer the same, that'll help with the language and also show that you're not a random boob looking to hit 2,000 feet directly over the runway or anything.

This seems to be an inactive discussion so apologies if it's history. I am soon to take my 107 cert test and will use my P3 4K for some commercial (farm) work. I want to have a handheld VHF radio that can [minimally] receive only but since I have my FCC license I can transmit should it ever be needed I'm ok with one that can receive/transmit.

Question - any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced radio I should look into? I see some that have T/R but also have NAV to include ILS which I don't need. GPS would be nice but not essential.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

This seems to be an inactive discussion so apologies if it's history. I am soon to take my 107 cert test and will use my P3 4K for some commercial (farm) work. I want to have a handheld VHF radio that can [minimally] receive only but since I have my FCC license I can transmit should it ever be needed I'm ok with one that can receive/transmit.

Question - any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced radio I should look into? I see some that have T/R but also have NAV to include ILS which I don't need. GPS would be nice but not essential.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

What type/class of license do you have that allows this?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj