AutoPilot question

Reaction score
Hey team. I'm setting up my 1st little waypoint test in the AutoPilot app. Since I have started tonight my preflight information on the app it has shutdown about 6 times in 45 mins. This has me a bit concerned so my question is if my bird is the middle of a flight during waypoints and the app closes what happens? Will it return to home automatically, will it hover or continue on its course and land at its return to home if I can't get the app loaded up. On the good side I think I have a small course set up as a test with pictures and video selections even small height adjustments. Wish me luck but for sure I'm gonna wait to see what you guys say.

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Missions are loaded on aircraft, so app crashing after mission is launched has no effect on the on going missions.

The AC won't necessarily finish the mission (like litchi will). It will depend if you have lost connection set to continue misssion (ie LCMC) or end mission.

So.... App crash with remote still connected will be stop and hover in default setup. You can always hit the RTH button if you are incapable of flying home.

Thanks Birds. Yes remote but app crashed and closed during mission in AutoPilot app. So you thinking it will hover until I get app reopened or I can just hit the RTH. Nice stuff thanks both of you for your info

Thanks Birds. Yes remote but app crashed and closed during mission in AutoPilot app. So you thinking it will hover until I get app reopened or I can just hit the RTH. Nice stuff thanks both of you for your info

It will depend on on your lost connection settings, ie LCMC or custom flight controller (autopilot default). If the app crashes it can't be sending commands to the AC so it will hover.

Ok thanks yes using default because when I set to the other I lose preset things I set up guess that just does waypoints them only.

Yahoo!!! First waypoint attempt went great. The camera and video settings I just need to figure out the pitch didn't get the right angle. Did my happy dance when it returned lol.

Flyin Fun,

Congrats on the Waypoint mission! I am relatively new to the drone community and it took a lot of research before I decided to purchase the Autoflight Logic Autopilot app. I have not regretted that decision even once. I love the Waypoint feature and flew my longest Waypoint mission last weekend. I flew a loop about 1 mile in each direction without a single issue. I did purchase the SKYREAT parabolic gold antenna boosters from Amazon and my signal was flawless at 1 mile away. I've gained much more confidence using Autopilot now and feel much more comfortable letting the drone fly away out of sight for what seems like an eternity!

Actually, the only time I've ever had a real problem was when I was flying with the DJI GO app manually. I was flying to cave openings on a cliff face in Puerto Rico so it was practically impossible to tell on the map where the openings were. Long story short...the drone was so high up that I couldn't see it or hear it so I finally pointed the camera down and figured out where I was. I landed it with less than 1 minute of juice left!

I've never had an issue with the Autopilot app crashing and I've had it running for long periods. Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it? How about closing all other apps, restarting your device, and only open Autopilot? Just a few suggestions to try. I hope it might help.

GMack, as for Autoflight Logic merging with Hanger, I received an email from the founder, Jim McAndrew on Nov. 15. Here's what it said in case you didn't get the email:

---------------------------
"Autoflight Logic Acquired by Hangar
Today I’m proud to announce that Autoflight Logic has been acquired by Hangar, and we’re joining the Hangar team to build an amazing future for drone users and enthusiasts worldwide. You can read about the announcement here.

What does that mean for you? Autopilot, Airspace and Autoframe will remain available as apps, and a primary focus of Hangar. We will still release regular, free updates with new features and new hardware support, and our customer support / community team will expand.

And in the future? One of the most exciting parts of joining Hangar is we’re going to be able to offer paid commercial work to any of our users who are licensed for operation in your region as we build out testing of new features and for new industries in the coming years. Interested? Fill out our simple commercial form here and we’ll contact you when we expand into your region.

I’d like to thank you for being loyal users of Autoflight Logic, and supporting us during this awesome journey in creating this ever-evolving piece of technology.

Jim McAndrew
Founder
Autoflight Logic"
-------------------------------------------

I've watched the Autopilot videos over and over and learned something new each time. I can't wait to try out the Follow mode. There is a cool video on YouTube (I think it is one of the training videos) that shows a side-by-side comparison of Follow using the DJI GO app and Autopilot. There is absolutely no comparison. Autopilot nails it, smooth and silky video with the subject always in frame. One of the best features of Autopilot is the ability to have such granular control over the drone, if you want.

To all Autopilot users, enjoy! I sure do!!

And to those considering purchasing the app, do not hesitate, but spend the time to learn how all the settings work. Then enjoy!

To the Litchi users, I may have to get that app too and do my own comparison. We all spend a boatload on the drone, so what's another $30 to make your flying only easier?

-Steve

Reactions: MaxS
One more thing I noticed last night. Colin Guinn formerly of 3DR (I assume there can't be more than 1 Colin in the drone business) is the President of Hangar, the new company that bought Autoflight Logic, the company that created the Autopilot, Airspace, and Autoframe apps.

I briefly owned 3 - 3DR Solo's, each went back to Amazon because of problems with the hardware. Colin made a bunch of very enthusiastic instructional videos about flying the Solo. People over in the 3DR forums were pretty upset when Colin left 3DR. If he has the same amount of enthusiasm with his new company, I look forward to what might be in store for Autopilot!

Hey team. I'm setting up my 1st little waypoint test in the AutoPilot app. Since I have started tonight my preflight information on the app it has shutdown about 6 times in 45 mins. This has me a bit concerned so my question is if my bird is the middle of a flight during waypoints and the app closes what happens? Will it return to home automatically, will it hover or continue on its course and land at its return to home if I can't get the app loaded up. On the good side I think I have a small course set up as a test with pictures and video selections even small height adjustments. Wish me luck but for sure I'm gonna wait to see what you guys say.

Thanks all

You will not have it returning home without pushing the RTH button on your controller. The Autopilot App has the alternative to RTH when the mission has finished. Otherwise it will hover on the spot it excited !

Missions are loaded on aircraft, so app crashing after mission is launched has no effect on the on going missions.

That is not 100% correct to my understanding as it depends on how you have set the mission settings for lost connection. You may choose to Finnish the mission and some other functions are then disabled, or the mission is aborted and the drone Hovers on the mission exit location. Then one needs to press RTH or manually fly it back !

That is not 100% correct to my understanding as it depends on how you have set the mission settings for lost connection. You may choose to Finnish the mission and some other functions are then disabled, or the mission is aborted and the drone Hovers on the mission exit location. Then one needs to press RTH or manually fly it back !
If you enable LCMC the mission will continue. Otherwise it will initiate RTH if that is what you have set as the lost signal action.

If you enable LCMC the mission will continue. Otherwise it will initiate RTH if that is what you have set as the lost signal action.
IMG_1622.jpg

There is no RTH setting possibility on Lost Connection in version 3.9 as I can see . Only End Mission or Continue Mission. If you choose Continue Mission a lot of functions will be disabled as in the second screen shot
IMG_1621.jpg

That's right- as I said with LCMC enabled the mission will continue with signal loss. If you don't enable LCMC your settings for lost signal (including RTH if chosen) will be honoured.

The problem is however, that the 3.9 app suddenly crashes in the middle of a Mission and then the mission is aborted . At this point, even if I have selected RTH after completed mission, the drone will not RTH but hover on the mission exit point as it does not get the mission completed signal. I do fully agree with you that the mission may continue even upon a lost signal, but many very vital functions are then disabled as i posted earlier the LCMC warning screen shot

The problem is however, that the 3.9 app suddenly crashes in the middle of a Mission and then the mission is aborted . At this point, even if I have selected RTH after completed mission, the drone will not RTH but hover on the mission exit point as it does not get the mission completed signal. I do fully agree with you that the mission may continue even upon a lost signal, but many very vital functions are then disabled as i posted earlier the LCMC warning screen shot
I never use LCMC in autopilot. I use autopilot for the advanced features offered by the flight controller (I plan LCMC in litchi, it's easier for me). The RTH behaviour is as I have indicated. The problem with an app crash is that you probably still have a connection to the AC so it will just hold its position awaiting the next instruction. If you initiate RTH manually it will come back. There is no option to initiate RTH automatically on an application crash regardless of what your settings might be.

Ok, now we seem to be on track in the discussion. The original problem I was referring to was indeed the Autopilot mission crashes. I do know that the Autopilot cannot execute a RTH on a mission software failure . I have on these unfortunate occasions used the physical RTH button on the controller and alway got the drone safely back. I do like the Autopilot with all the features and smooth transitions between waypoints, but the latest updates made the app crash on missions. I hope and believe that the developers will fix this asap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.