Autopilot - Position precision with GPS and map

Reaction score
Any comments on position precision using Autopilot app ? Clearly it's a function of GPS precision and map accuracy. If I'm planning a waypoint mission in tight quarters, how much position tolerance (x,y,z) should I allow for? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I recall some email with AP a while back where they said to allow for a 30 foot buffer in a trial run and then adjust tighter once through a test run. Seemed like a lot but better to error on the side of getting the thing back than hitting something since my own P4 isn't all that accurate with altitude and could be VPS issues as well. I was doing the KML/KMZ pre-plan stuff in Google Earth and they weren't too pleased with the accuracy of doing it that way without a test run and said to "Be careful."

There is also something in their Flight Station learning about if you are flying between two waypoints in wind where the drone may fly an arc between them as it is blown off the line, but the second flight it somehow learns to fly it straighter in the software. Some "Adaptive" thing in the FS manual and may be why they don't like winds over either 10 or 15 MPH too.

Thanks for the note. Believe I saw the 30 ft comment as well. (Was also wondering about Google map xfer and guess I'm not too surprised at what you observed.) I have some Ag/farming drone opportunities but need pretty good precision (+ or - 10 ft ) in order to make it work. Thanks again.

Thanks for the note. Believe I saw the 30 ft comment as well. (Was also wondering about Google map xfer and guess I'm not too surprised at what you observed.) I have some Ag/farming drone opportunities but need pretty good precision (+ or - 10 ft ) in order to make it work. Thanks again.

No problem.

If you are into mapping or surveying, look at some of the leased drones that basically do all the mapping for you and they auto-fly themselves (Just draw an area on your tablet or phone.) and then they takeoff and auto-fly the area in minutes, then auto-upload the data once they land, and then do cloud-based maps in 2D or 3D for you to download. Some neat ones out there like Boomerang, Kespry's Drone 2.0, and others. They are expensive though, starting at around $30K annually for the lease, as they use high-resolution cameras and work down into the centimeter area for accuracy from their increased pixel area in conjunction with their cloud software.

https://www.identifiedtech.com/aerial-mapping-drone-uav-mapping-and-analytics-software/

Drone 2.0: Kespry’s lighter, stronger drone not only flies itself, it renders 3D maps for you

Good luck with your business!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94