Autopilot 2.0 out now

I am interested in this application. Will the use of a 3rd party software violate the vehicle warranty if something were to go awry?

That's part of the plan in order to get maps from the internet. GPS from the Android phone, as far as I know, can not be transferred to the iPad via WiFi. If it could that would greatly simplify things. Only thing I have found was GPS data over Bluetooth. Apple has put a stop to that.

Before anyone suggest jailbreaking my iPad I am a mobile app developer so that is out of the question since I need my devices legit.

Basically looking at this;

Android Phone WiFi "HotSpot" -> iPad Air 2 <- Bluetooth -Bad Elf 2300 Bluetooth GPS+GLONASS Receiver and Data Logger with Barometric Altimeter
I have the exact same setup, with an iPhone 6+ as the Hotspot for map data. Bad Elf Pro+ 2300 is pricey, but the best! The enhanced features will endure long after the extra $100 spent has been forgotten!

Last edited:
Ok, here is a thought. iPad Air 2 WiFi only apparently does have a Barometer. Just installed a Barometer app and it is getting an accurate reading. Therefore I only need the SkyPro XGPS160 GPS Receiver, Correct?
Yes, but do you want a giant hockey puck, or a full digital readout, which displays accuracy in feet of the GPS signal lock at all times in feet, plus ASL altitude, and fits inside the palm of your hand?
I own both. Much prefer the Bad Elf.

Last edited:
An iPad without a GPS receiver using an iPhone's hotspot WILL provide GPS data to applications on the iPad that request it such as Google Maps.
Are you suggesting that an iPhone 6+ can be used to supply GPS data to the DJI GO app on a wifi only iPad Air 2 to use Follow Me? It doesn't work for resetting the Home Point to the RC location. That was previously thoroughly tested. If you are able to do so, please explain how, in detail.

Better ways to get your point across i think without the attitude and language regardless of your frustration. I think people have a right to ask questions, devs are not doing it for free and are being compensated quite well. Again Litchi is $20 and Autopilot is $53, why the disparity? Both have put a good amount of time into enhancing there apps. Remember that they only added features to existing programs, they haven't rewritten it from the ground up, right?
Why the disparity? Well, for one, they are on two entirely different platforms. Android apps are far cheaper and far easier to implement than Apple apps. It's not a fair comparison. Litchi chose Android first for a reason. If and when they ever develop an iOS version, then you can make a valid comparison. Until then, accept that developing iOS apps and getting them into the App Store is far more rigorous and time consuming than throwing together an Android app and getting it into the Play Store.

Everything that we have read and our testing shows this is not the case. Do you have a link to official documentation that can back this up, because if it is true that is great news.
Everything I have read and all my testing also shows that tethering/hotspotting will not port over GPS from the hotspotted device. You must use a BT connected external GPS device. Please prove us wrong!

But actually when I use the IPad tethered to the iPhone I get all the gps info on the DJI Go app...or is only related to the P3 being at the start point?...
Try just resetting the Home Point to the current RC location. It won't let you do it, because it doesn't know where you are. It only knows where the P3P launched from, using the GPS and GLONASS on the P3P, and where the P3P is presently. Follow Me requires the P3P to know where the RC is, just like resetting the Home Point to the RC does. No can do that from tethering alone.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for this video - It's a very good start! Based on the information provided in this video, I can only imagine that the next video you provide will have some screenshots of settings, or better yet it will have some video walkthroughs of setting up say an "Orbit Mission", or a "Zipline Mission", One where we can see your initial preflight settings, as well as the corresponding mission/ flight actually unfold on an iPhone or iPad screen.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus....but based on your video here, you gain quite a bit more real estate by going with an iPad screen. The screen real estate disappears fairly quickly.

Looking forward to more videos, And I want to personally "Thank You" for taking the time to put this initial video together for us P3P & Inspire Pilots to chew on while we try to figure out all of the settings in the AutoPilot App

Thanks for developing the AutoPilot app, I'm sure you will continue to add to the app as DJI gives you developers more access/control in the SDK to add other functionalities to our DJI quadcopters.

Have a great day, keep those rotors spinning and the horizon level.

~ Wojohowitz
+1:cool:

How can we know we need this ?

How do we know we need this ? I am using the same setup, but with an 5S that I have set to share it's location through the ipad mini 2 and it seems to be working. I'm due for a reduced upgrade (the 6S) , so I'm wondering if we REALLY need this.
You do, if you ever want to use Follow Me or reset the Home Point to the RC location, while using a wifi only tablet, which has no GPS antenna inside. The tethering/hotspotting cannot port over the GPS location data from the hotspot source. Period. :cool:

I am interested in this application. Will the use of a 3rd party software violate the vehicle warranty if something were to go awry?
I wouldn't think so, since DJI are allowing these software developers to access to the firmware for development and sale to the public.

I have an ipad2 wifi only and my phone is android, they don't like each other. I purchased the GLO GPS receiver to give my controller GPS location for the modes that require it.
Exactly. Same would be true if you had an iPhone 6+ and wanted to use the wifi only iPad as your tablet. Android is not the issue. The wifi only iPad cannot use any tethered cell phone for GPS. You need an external BT GPS source.

Never mind. I just field tested this. AutoFlight's Intercept seemed to work..but was scary enough to call it quits. DJI's Follow me failed totally. AutoFlight was suggesting a barometer would be best. Best I can tell, I was showing a margin of error of 33 feet without it. That is too large for me to be comfortable using it in tight areas
Bad Elf Pro+ 2300 ($250) also has a barometer inside as well, if your tablet does not. It also retrieves both GLONASS and GPS satellites.

I purchased and tried out the app today with both the iPhone 6 and the iPad mini 3. Both devices run dji go perfectly with hardware decoding turned on. Unfortunately, with autopilot, there is too much lag and image breakup. Are you able to utilize hardware decoding through the sdk to improve video feed?? Otherwise, the poor video feed ruins a nicely designed app
That's discouraging. However, you neglected to share here that the air temperature was 95° during your testing. I wonder how it is with the Air 2, but it and the iPhone 6 have the same processor. Are you able to configure the transmitted video quality like in the DJI GPO app?

Last edited:
Have you field tested this yet Prometric ? The pilot app for the Garmin is a subscription based tool and the Dual Electronics XGPS150 requires that their app be opened in the background in order to get follow me to work properly. I don't want another monthly payment. Their GLONASS model is an extra $60.

Speaking of which, I do have to admit, I'd rather pay AutoPilot the in app purchase price up front than a yearly subscription.
If you get the Bad Elf Pro+ 2300 ($250), all you do is pair it with the tablet. No other app required and no subscription needed. GLONASS and GPS. You can use it with up to 5 devices at once! It's designed for pilots and passengers to share the location and barometer information with 5 tablets at once! Dual is a hockey puck with no visible data on the unit. I own both!

I wouldn't think so, since DJI are allowing these software developers to access to the firmware for development and sale to the public.
There is no way DJI will allow you to pilot with a 3rd party app and be under a DJI warranty. That would be insane of them!

Absolutely! Your only recourse would be the 3rd party app, and I am certain that they disclaim all liability arising from any use of their app, as a condition of using it. It was in the beta test agreement. No reason it wouldn't also be included in the use of the public app. Keep in mind that at any time, to regain full control, you simply flip the switch from F to P to revert back to normal transmitter control, and can switch over to the DJI GO app. Just be prepared to do that, before you panic.:cool:

Last edited:
If you get the Bad Elf Pro+ 2300 ($250), all you do is pair it with the tablet. No other app required and no subscription needed. GLONASS and GPS. You can use it with up to 5 devices at once! It's designed for pilots and passengers to share the location and barometer information with 5 tablets at once! Dual is a hockey puck with no visible data on the unit. I own both!

You seem really sold on this unit, but I'm not so sure. Almost 50% of the users on Amazon are having major problems with this unit and have been waiting for several months for a resolution. Either it is having problems with iOS or it has some other problem. Also, you have to choose the mode you want to share with iOS - it is either GPS or Barometer - you can't have both at the same time. I don't think digital readout and the barometer are worth the extra $100 for me.

Based on what? It's using the SDK they provided.
Just because DJI provided the SDK to the 3rd party developers does not mean DJI is, in any way, liable for the coding they do with it. How are you going to prove that it is DJI's fault you crashed, when you used a 3rd party app to completely control the flight? That is your burden to prove. Not happening. It's common sense. It will void your warranty for sure. Let me put it another way: No lawyer will take your case. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl